Road trip: Sorrento, Rosebud, Portsea. July '01.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Portsea
August 8th 2001
Published: November 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Road trip here we come!Road trip here we come!Road trip here we come!

Matching thongs bought at a supermarket and Chris' trusty vehicle.
Chris, Jamie and I decided to pack up and go on a road trip in Chris' beat-up 1978 Volvo (with no air-conditioning!). As per usual, we didn't have any prior planning but having been stressed out by final presentations at Uni, we wanted to head farthest away from Melbourne as possible. So off to Mornington Peninsula we went, about 100kms south of Melbourne.

Along the Mornington Peninsula beaches you'll find bathing boxes, which are now heritage listed. Believe it or not, these boxes cost from AUD$5000-$150,000! I kid you not.

We found a caravan park in Rosebud, which was really cosy. And no, you don't have to rock up in a caravan. The place we lived in could have accommodated about 6 people, had a tv, kitchen, bath. Really comfy and not at all expensive.

In Rosebud, there's remarkable scenery which you can absorb from headlands, strategically placed lookouts or from lofty peaks such as Arthurs Seat. There's a chairlift here, but we decided to head to the popular man-made maze. Everyone gets a map of the maze to figure their way out. I think we got stuck for a pretty long time, and after some frustration, decided
Bathing boxes.Bathing boxes.Bathing boxes.

Heritage listed, and expensive! Also very cute and makes for a lovely scenery along the beach.
to make the most of it by taking pictures. Haha. The office/souvenir shop was situated on an elevated area so the people working there had an aerial view of the maze. I reckon they would've been very amused by us.

Then it was off to Fort Nepean, built in 1882, at the Mornington National Park. Being at the entrance of Port Philip Bay, these now abandoned forts were built during the 19th century to protect Melbourne from attack. It's a really interesting place, with an engine house, and tunnels leading to gun emplacements, ammunition stores and bunkers.

I think the most money we spent on this trip was on food. We must've stopped at every grocery store on the way. This is what no-planning does to you, between the three of us we had cravings for everything under the sun!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Strolling the beach.Strolling the beach.
Strolling the beach.

It wasn't very warm, hence we were rugged up in sweaters and denim.
Caravan park.Caravan park.
Caravan park.

Our accomodation in Rosebud.
Let's try the maze!Let's try the maze!
Let's try the maze!

Jamie and I with the stress-inducing maze behind.
Stuck in the maze.Stuck in the maze.
Stuck in the maze.

The frustrated faces of Jamie and Chris. Might as well make the most of it and take pictures.
Wood carving.Wood carving.
Wood carving.

Feels funny calling it a wood carving, it's like a whole tree-carving. This is supposed to be Leonardo Da Vinci, by the way. What do you think?
Headed to the fort .Headed to the fort .
Headed to the fort .

Chris and I making our way to the fort.
Check out the size of that!Check out the size of that!
Check out the size of that!

This cannon is huge. Took awhile for us to heave ourselves on it.


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb