A quick update


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
June 14th 2010
Published: June 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ok, so since I last blogged Grandma and Grandad came to visit and we had some great days out and a wonderful trip to Wilsons Prom with Joseph and Eva. Otherwise I was mainly working at the cafe and as a nanny. The work as a nanny came thick and fast once I got started. It was then sad when I had to say bye to everyone and lots of people wanted to me to stay which was nice however I left and headed to Singapore! It was so much fun to see Lou and James. We saw the sights, including a tour on kick scooters. It took me a while to get the hang of it but then it was a great way to get around.

Then we flew to Borneo where we went to lots of National Parks with beaches and jungle. We did a lot of Jungle treks!!! Including climbing 'The Pinnacles' where you climb 1.5km high over just 2.4km, basically its really really steep and the worst bit is coming down but the ropes, ladders and rocks were very convienently placed! That was in Mulu Np that you have to fly to as its so remote. We also went to soem amzing caves there where millions of bats live and at dusk they fly out and it looks juts like smoke, it was unbelievable how many there were. Bako was another of my favourite where we saw Probiscus monkeys! :-)

From Kuching, which is a lovely little city we did a couple of trips the first was to see Orangs-my main priority! We saw about 10 at a rehabillitation centre which was really cool. They were in their natural habitat and didn't come too close but that was good. The dominant male was absolutely huge and there were also soem tiny babies, just 1 month old who were cute!

Another trip was to the longhouse, which is where the indigenous people live in the jungle. It was a great experience. We stayed overnight, drank rice wine and whisky, washed in the river, learnt how to make local bicuits and did a trek to a waterfall where we collected snails for lunch and obviously had a lovely swim. Everyone was so welcoming and it is one the highlights so far.

Then we flew to KL where we stayed just one night, saw the sights and met some fun people then flew to Phuket in Thailand and headed to Ko Phi Phi for some well earned beach time after all that jungle trekking. :-) We spent 4nights on the island, 2 at a remote beach with a hut right on the beach, it was so beautiful! Then we got a ferry to krabi and a bus north to Khao Sok NP where we stayed just outside the NP. Even in the middle of the jungle they love the world cup and football in general so me a James went to bed at 10 and got up at 1.30 to watch Englands first, slightly disappointing game of the tournament then back to bed! Hehe!

The next day by a series of transport we headed to the dam and got a boat through the lake which is the centre of the NP! It was stuning, there are lots of limestone cliffs covered in trees and it is all surrounded by jungle. We spent the night at a traditional rafthouse on the lake with a spectacular view. We swam regularly and ate lots of yummy food then at dawn we went of a safari, in the boat. We saw monkeys, gibbons and hornbills and heard elephants in the distance which was mega exciting, then we swam, played in the kayaks and got our boat ride back before travelling to Surat Thani where I am right now, waiting for the night ferry to Ko Tao!

Advertisement



17th June 2010

Hi Rachel. Glad all good for you. I have just digressed from report reading. Good you are having a little bit of reality--- working!! Take Care. Love Auntie Bridge.x

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb