Thailand adventures


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
June 22nd 2010
Published: June 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ok so we got the night ferry to Ko Tao and actually all slept very well. We were met at the ferry by a very happy bustling lady and went to stay at her Bungalows which were in between both of the main beaches which meant it was a walk into town but nice quiet spot and cheap! That day we went on a snorkelling trip which was fun to see all the coral and fishes but it actually rained proper rain, not tropical rain. It was strange and much warmer in the sea than out! In our group were 2 guys called Dave and Matt and a girl called Susie. That night we all met for drinks and ended up dancing on the beach at a bar till the early hours.

The next day we spent relaxing on the beach but it was so so hot and the sea didn't refresh you-it was in fact so hot in the shallows it was hotter than bath water and it was shallow for a long way! That evening we watched 'The Beach' at a beach bar and then had dinner at a local restuarant and their son entertain us lots. Then we met up with our friends again and the night went a similar way. The next morning it was raining again :-(! We just had breakfast by the beach and chilled out before catching the ferry to the mainland, a wander around town, dinner, watched some footy and then night train number one to Bangkok. We were suppose to leave at 11.30pm but it was late and we ended up arriving in Bangkok at 10am where we had breakfast and then got a boat up the river and spent time at a buddist temple-Wat Pho and at the Grand Palace where we did a free English tour of the palace and the temple within the grounds. The guide was very funny and identified us by countries calling us 'English', although James got called 'Red Shirt'. Bad choice of tshirt for the day but we all survived and you would have no idea there had been trouble there so recently. After the palace we went to Khao San Road to all the cheap shops and backpackers area before ferry back down to get our 2nd night train to Chiang Mai. Both night trains were comfortable, the bunks are small and its strange being told when to go to bed and when to get up as they get the beds out and put them away for you.

We arrived late again into Chiang Mai at 12/1pm so we had lunch and then got a taxi to Mae Rim. To a big house in a gated compound. We had been left the key to James' school friends Mums house. They moved here a few years ago but were on holiday so just left us with an amazing house to ourselves with comfy double beds and ensuites, tampoline, table tennis, a pool and a massive tv with exceptional dvd collection as well as air con in every room. lol. We didn't leave that afternoon. oops! It was just nice to relax in a house and shower after a few days on trains. A friend came round to see us and feed the cat, Nok. The next day she dropped us into Mae Rim so we could get a Sawngthaew(taxi/bus thing) into town where we wandered around the market, James had a suit fitting and I requested some shorts(as I had to throw mine away in KL) then we got a taxi up to another temple on a mountain. Doi Suthep, it was impressive up there and we could see a thunderstorm coming, it was interesting seeing the rain get closer and closer then it was back to town to the walking market which was much bigger than we imagined. We popped into a couple more temples and enjoyed the market before out first western dinner in a month, burger-the beef was good.I hadn't realised how much I missed it! Then it was tiem for first fittings and earlier we had left a note at our friends hostel, Will and Dan who we met in KL to meet for drinks. They took us to a cool cocktail bar and then a very chilled at rooftop bar. We didn't stay long as we had to get back out of the city and up the next day for our Thai cookery course!

So Nok was amazing and dropped us close enough to town for the cookery people to pick us up, then we went to the market to get ingredients before back to school. It was a fun day, there were 2 Aussie guys and 4 girls from Sheffield with us. We learnt how to make Pad Thai, Fish cakes(Will and Dans fav-we saved them some), papaya salad, spring rolls, green/red curry, chicken and cashew nuts stirfry and then for dessert black rice pudding with coconut milk. Such good food! Then into town to buy presents for our hosts, then it was back out to shower and change and tidy up and say bye to our amazing house. We came into town (in a tropical downpour) to pick up our tailored items, quick dinner and then we met the guys again for a proper night out which resulted in a party in our room till late/early depending how you look at it!

And then today, well a sad day we went for breakfast with all our friends and then we had to say bye to James and then to Will and Dan! :-( James is currently on his way to Bangkok to fly home and we got a bus to Chiang Khong. There are some nice people on the bus doing very similar things to us so thats nice. We are staying at a little place on the Mekong river so we can see Laos but are still in Thailand! Tomorrow we all leave on the longboat for Laos!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb