Shocking Wins at The Emirates Melbourne Cup


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
November 3rd 2009
Published: November 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=e_5Wx_gQD2o] The day started early as we Stephen and I headed to Flemington Racecourse to witness the 149th Emirates Melbourne Cup!! Sean and David surprised us with 2 yellow boutonnieres for us to wear with our suits!

This Melbourne Cup is a holiday in Victoria and the race is known as "the horse race that stops a nation." People all over Australia are celebrating and drinking the day away at the Cup or local race tracks in the nation!

Each year the Melbourne Cup has several races but the big event started at 3:00pm. 24 horses competed today in the 3200 m race. We had reserved seats in the Lawn area and also had access to The Bank Marquee. The Banks was located off the track and we were able to place bets, eat and drink in a private area.

Everyone was dressed to the T and many of the women had unique hats and hair pieces. It was great people watching and learning how to bet on each race! We actually won a race with a Trifecta! $62.00 AUS total!!!!

This year's winner was Shocking #21 trained by Mark Kavanagh and ridden by Jockey Corey Brown. Shocking was followed by the 2nd place finisher Crime Scene and 3rd place finisher Mourilyan. It was an action- packed race day full of fun! What an amazing experience to be able to attend this historical sporting event.

Make sure you look at all the pics!!!! Feel like you were there!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The BanksThe Banks
The Banks

Bookie
Us at The CupUs at The Cup
Us at The Cup

Stephen and I at the 149th Emirates Melbourne Cup
Hair Piece at The CupHair Piece at The Cup
Hair Piece at The Cup

Woman watching the Races
I'm here!I'm here!
I'm here!

Woman at The Melbourne Cup
Photographer Photographer
Photographer

Taking a break
Pre-race #5Pre-race #5
Pre-race #5

Go!!! the race we won!
General AdmissionGeneral Admission
General Admission

Fans out in front of the course


3rd November 2009

Nice ones guys pics look great'!!!!!!! i was on shocking so day was ok but aly picked the first 3 winners !!!!!! enjoy!!!

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb