Gorillas in the Mist


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Zoo
October 20th 2006
Published: October 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 6 of our trip was spent in a zoo. We had the dilemma of either going to an Open Range zoo at Werribee or to Melbourne Zoo. We picked Melbourne Zoo solely based on close proximity.

I’m not quite certain on my stance on zoos. Although I was amazed to see exotic animals & all, but is it right to deprive animals of their liberty by caging them in zoos for the amusement of mankind ? Australian zoos are among the best in the world. They are designed to replicate the animals’ natural habitat as much as possible. They are well maintained and the animals are properly fed & loved.

Zoos are also built to provide safe haven for animals from the third world endangered of being captured by poachers. But it is not right to make judgement on poachers either if the only available means of providing for their starving family is through the expense of their country’s wildlife. The pressing question is: Is human life more important than primates and other species ? Dian Foster - a well known Australian animal activist who died protecting gorillas in the mist of Africa would probably beg to differ.
GiraffeGiraffeGiraffe

Melbourne Zoo
She connected and showed more compassion with the gorillas than with humans ( I'm recommending her movie for everyone to see - it's a real tear-jerker). The bottom line is, aren’t we all just animals in this cut-throat world ? The only difference is human intelligence has placed us at the top of the food chain.

God bless those more compassionate species such as the vegetarians, animal rights activists like Dian Foster and Steve Irwin to name a few. I must admit that I shed few tears for Mr. Crickey while watching his memorial service on TV. Some people say that he torments animals on his show. Sure he might have looked like a kid with AD/HD who drank too much red cordial, but he really has a genuine passion for wildlife and nature. His hands-on approach to wildlife is what made millions of people pay attention. He raised awareness of animals and helped in the conservation of the environment…….so hail Criiiiiiiiikey !

For AU$22 entrance fee, we saw a pygmy hippo, gigantic giraffe, zany zebras, lazy lions and a silver-back gorilla I caught on tape beating up the other non-alpha male gorillas.

Are these African animals be better off caged in world class zoos or back in Africa where they are endangered of being poached and sold for parts? I guess it’s a matter of one’s perception.





Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Pygmy HippoPygmy Hippo
Pygmy Hippo

Melbourne Zoo
Alpha-male gorillaAlpha-male gorilla
Alpha-male gorilla

Melbourne Zoo
Butterfly HouseButterfly House
Butterfly House

Melbourne Zoo
Me, Liam & RyanMe, Liam & Ryan
Me, Liam & Ryan

Melbourne Zoo
Elephant SculpturesElephant Sculptures
Elephant Sculptures

Melbourne Zoo
Brown BearsBrown Bears
Brown Bears

Melbourne Zoo
I just thought I should throw this in....I just thought I should throw this in....
I just thought I should throw this in....

My brief close encounter with Steve Irwin last year @ the Australia Zoo :>


Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 26; qc: 117; dbt: 0.1403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb