Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Zoo
Blogs from Zoo
Latest Blogs from Zoo
- December 2nd 2011 The Origins of the Species
by Words: 286 Photos: 21
- May 10th 2009 Prior to going...
by Words: 24 Photos: 1
- March 2nd 2009 Melbourne Zoo
by Words: 70 Photos: 7
- December 27th 2008 Melbourne OZ
by Words: 184 Photos: 0
- August 29th 2008 5 days to go.
by Words: 94 Photos: 1
- July 5th 2008 Test
by Words: 488 Photos: 0
- February 28th 2008 Upside down leap day.
by Words: 113 Photos: 0
- February 9th 2008 what summer?
by Words: 153 Photos: 0
- November 18th 2007 Melbourne Zoo
by Words: 344 Photos: 0
- September 13th 2007 Melbourne Art
by Words: 0 Photos: 20
- August 23rd 2007 Melbourne,U.K
by Words: 392 Photos: 3
- August 22nd 2007 Bob Dylan and the Melbourne Zoo
by Words: 478 Photos: 9
- October 20th 2006 Gorillas in the Mist
by Words: 438 Photos: 16
- September 17th 2006 3 Weeks until take-off!
by Words: 236 Photos: 8