Melbourne - DAY SIX


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » St Kilda
August 15th 2008
Published: August 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lucy and Amy Lucy and Amy Lucy and Amy

vandalising a statue in Melbourne Gardens

15th August 2008 - Rainy Days and Chocolate



Eli came and met us at our hostel in the morning and we got the tram into the city. We had a look around the botanical gardens and then got lunch at a sandwich shop down one of the lanes. Our main agenda was to buy some warm clothes for New Zealand which we are due to go to in a few days...we sidetracked at Queen Victoria Market which is awesome! They have everything, food, clothes, wine etc. We tried lots of the wines and some nice homemade liquors! 😊 Unfortunately we spent so long in the food section that the clothes were being packed away by the time we got there - doh!

We bought some honey and soy chicken wings to cook for dinner and some fresh vegtables. It worked out at 1 pound per person! Lovely!

When we got back to the hostel we got ready for a night out and then had our dinner. Eli's friend from the army is training to be a chef in Melbourne and it was his birthday so Eli asked us to join him. It was a miserable night, raining and windy and we had to wait for ages for the tram...when we got to Chapel Street (the trendy club and bar area) we were so cold we went to a Chocolate Bar for hot drinks and had some churros - warm melted chocolate with hot biscuit dipping sticks...it was as good as it sounds!

When we got to the birthday bash the bar was a little deserted so we said we would meet them later and went down the road to find somewhere more lively...everywhere was very expensive and pretentious and eventually we stumbled accross a strange little bar. There was a band playing that looked like a drag act and the toilets had leopard print carpet for wallpaper....there were lots of photos of Boy George and everyone was drinking the bars signature cocktail 'Marky Mark' which the barman said would give you as much energy as a liquidised mars bar. I think I worried Eli when I said we MUST be in a gay bar! Turned out is was an 80's bar and the lead singer really was a woman! We had a great time singing along to all the eighties tunes and dancing with our rental umbrella.

Lucy x








Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

ChurrosChurros
Churros

Yummy!


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb