Discovering Melbourne!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » City Centre
April 14th 2012
Published: April 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

In one day we got from Auckland to Sydney and from there to Melbourne!! For me and Joanna it was not that weird as we had done it a lot of times already! I understand Kikis excitement, it was a dream trip there in Australia and it became reality. It was all good, lovely airports no big hassle, just with jet star not being able to check us in before a certain time because as a traveller u want that part over and done with! I found the hunger games and bought the book to read during the flight! An amazing book I have to say. The flight to Melbourne was in Avalon , somewhere outside from where u can take a bus to the actual Melbourne, small airport with 3 gates, but if they cater for these flights it's more than enough! Finally by 10 we were at the hostel, huge huge hostel they know and can understand backpackers. There was a huge kitvhen with a big row of fridges that you could storeyour food. It smelled vile thou my guess is that it wasn't cleaned often enough. The room smelled of feet and paint because they were doing some works next to our room. The other weird fact is that there were stairs only to the 2nd floor, for any other floor u had to ride the elevator!!!! I wanted to take the stairs but it was so annoying because there weren't any!



Free tour.

So within the hostel there was a tour advertised. More or less it takes you to a food market and points out the cool places in Melbourne. The actual market is hosted in thecourtyard of a monastery which now hosts classes for almost everything. We found pistachios from larnaca which was unexpected, and got some yummy fruit, there is also a restaurant there that functions on donations lets say, u pay what u think the food is worth! Around there there is a bat colony which was something that we have done before the market thankfully as they smelled and were too loud!



Meeting with Bahadir.

From Macchu Pichu we had warned Bahadir that if we indeed came to Melbourne we would have liked to see him. So he was informed and he was super kind to give us a mini tour! He took us to the Big Mouth lunapark, I'm not sure it's eBen called like that, it's situated in St.Kilda's. There wafor entry for the park just for the rides! We did not go, because I wanted to go and smoke shisha, and we walked on the beach front which had the Iron Man contest, something like triathlon. Next shop Turkish place for shisha!!! Yay😊 we ordered some dips because we were hungry and got the shisha! I think that it was too strong because by the end of the night I wanted to reject my food, but I did not thankfully. we had a great time, loads of fun!! I love meeting friends😊



Meeting with Family.

Although it was not pre arranged we managed to meet with our grandfathe's cousin who immigrated to Australia for a better life presumably. poor sweet lady unfortunately suffers from dementia and to top everything she had lost her husband 3 months ago. In a way it's good for her that she does not remember but I can'timagine the pain of reliving it again and again. We had a lively chat with her daughters, and we were treated with delicacies from home!

Chapel street and the lanes.

To be honest I liked the set up of the city! It was quite cool, everything seemed so close by. The lanes were the fun hip part of the city, sort of like the old town of my city but more hip. There were many cool shops but pretty expensive. On one of our outingsbeings very desperate Bout my hair and discussing with jo that she would cut it for me, we found a shop that would do it for a reasonable price. And i cut it😊 We also found the Lindt CafĂ© aNd had variations of hot choc and coffee, delicia!!!

Chapel street was an adventure, that day we had started with a tour of a free bus that took us to key places in the city , one of them being the botanical gardens where we stopped and browsed, amazing stuff there, we saw a black swan and lost K who went to see a volcano- an artistic creation that uses a lot desert colours. From there we walked all the way to where F1 happened , K is a big fan and from there to Chapel Street , and offcourse all the way back to the hostel. All in all it took us 6 hours😊 a lot of pain- my feet were killing me! Chapel lane was a bitintimidating at first because we had expected something diff but the more you walked thecore charming it became! We even found acai! Not the real stuff but that was only because it's mixed with other juices.

What I can say about Melbourne is that we walked a lot!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0796s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb