Welcome to Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » City Centre
January 8th 2007
Published: January 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bourke StreetBourke StreetBourke Street

This is a view down Bourke Street, one of the biggest shopping streets in Melbourne.
Greetings!

Hope you all are doing well.

I am safe and sound in Melbourne, Australia. The flight over was great. I don’t know why people complain about international flights—free booze and free movies (I watched Borat—I give it a 7 out of 10; Little Miss Sunshine—7/10; Beerfest—5/10 but made me want to booze (heavily) while I was watching; and You, Me and Dupree—4/10) made the time (15 hours from Los Angeles to Melbourne) pass quickly.

I am living in an apartment in the heart of downtown Melbourne. My location is absolutely awesome! Melbourne is a huge cosmopolitan city and is a lot like living in New York City but with a population of only 3.5 million. The city has an unbelievable mixture of cultures and races. Chinatown, Little Italy and the Greek Precinct are all within two blocks of my apartment. In addition to those cultural areas, there are tons of great restaurants nearby. Everything is a little more expensive, but most of the restaurants are B.Y.O., which means that you can bring in your own bottles of wine for lunch/dinner—really different/awesome concept for me, and saves a good amount of money.

Public transportation is quick and
Christmas TreeChristmas TreeChristmas Tree

I just liked the tree....
easy; however, I have explored most of the city by foot. The ability to walk around the city has enabled me to get a good feel for the city already. I really like city life.

The biggest challenge that I have encountered thus far has not been adjusting to the Australian accents, nor has it been crossing streets and seeing cars driving on the wrong side of the road; it has been sidewalk etiquette. I can only assume that since Americans are accustomed to driving on the right side of the road, this has influenced how we walk down sidewalks. In the states, I have been ingrained to adjusting my path (i.e. yielding) to the right of oncoming pedestrian traffic so as to avoid a collision. Here, everyone yields to the left. Before learning of this cultural difference, I absolutely crushed the toes and ankles of roughly 35 people, and this does not even include the awkward half-step fake-out dance moves that are the product of two people yielding to the same direction.

My initial impression of Australian dress/style is that there are a lot of people dressing like douchebags. I will never claim that I have any
Hungry Jack'sHungry Jack'sHungry Jack's

Australia's Burger King.
sense of style; however, that being said, I cannot believe the amount of people wearing white tennis shoes and mid-shin black socks. Absolutely terrible.

I live in the apartment with three other American students. The apartment is ridiculously small! We share one shower and one toilet in a bathroom that is smaller than most closets, thus I am learning to become very patient. In addition, I share a bedroom/miniature closet with my roommate Mike. Our single mattresses lay no further than 2 feet from each other and the bedroom door is made of corkboard. The four of us share one couch and a 9-inch TV that has a whopping 5 channels of programming. Absolutely hilarious. I will send pictures of my living arrangement soon and I really think that you will fall over laughing.

Since it is summer time here, the weather has been beautiful. 80+ degrees and sunny everyday. Perfect weather for me (I am not trying to create jealousy if Kansas/wherever is cold). The beach is a 20 minute walk/2 minute tram ride from my apartment. Really nice beaches—white sand.

I have had three days of school so far and I think that I am
Yarra RiverYarra RiverYarra River

The Yarra runs through South Melbourne.
going to enjoy my classes. I am taking an International Environmental Law course, a Competitive/Anti-trust Law course and an Introduction to the Australian Legal System course. The Australian course is like a social studies/history course and is far and away my favorite. School is about a 10 minute walk from my apartment.

I have more stories, but the public library is kicking me out. Furthermore, the library has a blocker on uploading pictures to this website. I will have to figure out a way to get around it...... I will write more in the next couple of days and will also send some pictures of the city and my visit to a Wildlife Sanctuary. Please feel free to email me at anewton3@hotmail.com or through the TravelBlog.

Much love,
Andy



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Yarra RiverYarra River
Yarra River

View of Eastern Melbourne from the Yarra.
CottageCottage
Cottage

Famous Melbourne cottage


8th January 2007

Aussie
Oh the great memories! Sounds like a great time so far! Can't wait to see your pics but I remember Melbourne to be amazing. If you wear your dress socks and tennis shoes you might fit in better. Good luck buddy!
9th January 2007

I try not to ask much of you, but I have one request: please, please, please develop an Australian accent while you are away! It's the least you can do for me since you are so far away, don't you think? Kidding...I miss you!
11th January 2007

Picture
I think I remember a picture of Tyler, Jesse and you in your home office in Stilwell and you are all wearing knee high socks and white tennies.
11th January 2007

you are so cute
I love seeing the pictures of you in the scenery. Makes me remember why I love you so much. G'day, mate!!! Miss you so much
13th January 2007

I miss you, when you get back you me and Ryan are going to a weird santa and midget party and cooking a feast and seeing what happens. Watch out for Gorillas
16th January 2007

As I sit here in 8 degree weather, my knee high black Nike Socks, and sweet new K-Swiss kicks, I have to totally re-configure the fashion statement I am going to make on the first day of class. Thanks for preventing a huge mistake.

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb