Stranded at the drive-in


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Carlton 3053
April 16th 2008
Published: May 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 306 (27.1.08)

We spent a lazy morning at the campsite before going out to discover another new area of the city. We met up again with Mark’s friend Bex, who was out for a few drinks with her friends in Hawthorne. A few Sunday beers went down very well and we retired back to the campsite having had a good weekend.

Day 307 (28.1.08)

As today was a public holiday and there was nothing we could do in our continuing search for homes/jobs we decided to make the most of another beautiful day by taking some time out at the pool. A great holiday style day to prepare us for the months of work ahead of us!

A chat to a couple of fellow campers got us all excited when we found out that just around the corner was a drive-in cinema - something we’d always wanted to do. Images of Grease came flooding to mind and we were off to discover more!

Arriving at the ticket office we felt just like Sandy and Danny. Unfortunately Grease wasn’t on tonight so we went for a completely different option in Cloverfield. Stocking up on sweets we got the chairs out and tucked under a blanket we settled down for the show. A bit slow in starting, it turned out to be pretty good. Kind of a Blair Witch meets Godzilla…

Nearing the end of the film we spotted the ominous glow of a fire a few blocks away. Soon the flames licked the roof tops and smoke started to drift across the drive in. Nothing to overly worry about yet!

After Cloverfield had finished we thought we’d stick around to watch the next film. As it was getting a bit cold we climbed into the van and waited for American Gangster to start. By the time it had started the smoke was getting a little thicker and the Melbourne fire service had camped out on the far side of the cinema lot eyeing the blaze.

After 20mins of the film the smoke was thickening still. We then heard a knock on the door and turned around to see one of the cinemas ushers. Thinking we were getting in trouble for staying to watch the next film, we opened the window a little nervously only to be told that they had been asked to evacuate the cinema as the fire service were not sure if the smoke was toxic! You can’t argue with that so we left film and made our way back to the campsite.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



13th May 2008

world tour scam
alo harry and mary is it me or are these blogs 4 months out of date.....it is now the middle of may!...or have you finally been arrested by the welsh c.i.d. and are now incarserated in a maximum security llandudno twilight home for fake bloggers?

Tot: 0.532s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 43; qc: 161; dbt: 0.4232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb