Packing it all in ... not long till we go


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » CBD
August 15th 2008
Published: August 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 496 to 502 (04.08.08 - 10.08.08)

When our friend Rob had left Melbourne he'd given us some free cinema tickets that he'd won at work for being a super-duper salesman. We decided to use them on Monday night so after work we met up in town and went for a last portion of dumplings at our favourite little dumpling house. Feeling full we wandered along the Yarra to the cinema and took in a showing of The Dark Knight, the new Batman movie - highly entertaining.

Coops and Sarah, friends from the call centre, joined us on Wednesday for basketball, Sarah to play and Coops to join Chrissie on the spectators bench. A great game saw a win for the Growlers which our friend Duan had also recently joined.

We're now trying to catch up with as many people as possible before we leave so on Thursday night we were joined for dinner by Prue and her fella Stacey and on Friday we'd invited Sarah and Duan around for an Opening Ceremony party.

We'd been looking forward to the Olympics starting and were glad we'd be able to catch most of it before we left Australia and a television! We decided to create an Olympic rings dinner by making a plate of food for each colour of the rings. Our dinner consisted of Sushi for starters (black), Macaroni Cheese (yellow), tomato salad (red), leaf salad (green), and we struggled a bit on the blue but finished with cupcakes with extremely blue icing (the colouring slipped a little in Chrissie's hand!) - a genius dinner enjoyed by all! The opening ceremony was spectacular and promised a great games to follow.

We had a crazy day planned on Saturday with several events that we needed to try and get to. Coops was having a party at the pub he lived above so we headed there first and met up with all the guys from the call centre.

After a few hours there we joined Andre, Veng and Franny and went into town to meet up with the crew of Andres friends that we always got on so well with for Gavin's birthday celebrations. We all met up in Gunjan and Gav's hotel room and caught up with everyone there before we all headed in our different directions. They were off out clubbing and we were going to the Order of Melbourne bar in town for Ash's big 30! We joined Tiana, Ash and their friends for a great night - congratulations Ash you old bugger and thanks for a good party!

Sunday was another fun packed day as Veng had managed to get some free tickets for an AFL match at the Telstra Dome, the Bulldogs playing North Melbourne. We were joined by Andre and the four of us decided to go for the Bulldogs. It was a great game, we enjoyed a pie ot two as is the tradition and it turned out to be a very closely fought match. Sadly 'our' team lost in the end but we'd had a great time.

After the match we popped into town with Andre to warm-up with a cup of hot chocolate in Koko Blacks - delicious! We had planned to meet up with our friend Marita (whom we'd met in Vietnam) in the evening at Lygon Street.

We headed up there a bit early and wandered up and down Lygon Street before finding a little place showing some Olympics where we had a cup of tea. We met up with Marita a little later at Il Gambero a fab little family run place where we enjoyed an excellent pasta platter between us and caught up on news with Marita. It was great to see her and we were pleased we'd managed to tie it in with a visit to Lygon Street.




Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



21st August 2008

Great to hear from you again. I hadn't received any mail for ages!!! You both look like you still really enjoying yourselves. We celebrated Emily's birthday yesterday and for a 1 year old she has partied far too much! A party in Scotland, after my week in hospital, with Tim's sides relatives, then a party in Manchester for all her little friends, followed by another party today at a toddler group we go to and then a theme park day with my family on saturday and a family bbq in Derbyshire to celebrate the 5 birthdays we have inn 1 week. Yes, we will be partied out!! On of her favourite pressies is her trampoline from her great grandparents- even when she's not on it she bounces and she now has a new fondness of cheese balls. The summer. again, in none existent but hey we are making the most of it. Tim's set up a company with 1/2 million venture capital funding which is going well, although takes most of his even tough it's supposed to be a 3 day a week job. z1Ú©kl zNNBV XFBC- from Emily well take care guys, all our love Amy, Tim and Em

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0786s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb