Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Blogs from CBD
Latest Blogs from CBD
- April 22nd 2013 Everything you need to know about visiting Australia (Melbourne & Sydney specific)
by Words: 2522 Photos: 0
- March 4th 2013 Moving to Melbourne!
by Words: 1171 Photos: 0
- February 11th 2013 Day 64: A bit of housekeeping to do!
by Words: 350 Photos: 5
- February 2nd 2013 Bye Sydney. Hello Melbourne!
by Words: 652 Photos: 0
- January 27th 2013 Melbourne and beyond
by Words: 440 Photos: 0
- January 22nd 2013 Back to reality
by Words: 666 Photos: 0
- December 29th 2012 A TRIP BACK TO AUCKLAND & OUR FINAL BOW
by Words: 3466 Photos: 25
- December 19th 2012 Travel map to date
by Words: 1 Photos: 0
- December 4th 2012 Living in a land down under #2
by Words: 3003 Photos: 22
- November 30th 2012 I’d do anything for money... but I won’t do that.
by Words: 1456 Photos: 0
- November 20th 2012 DESTINATION MELBOURNE
by Words: 1703 Photos: 16
- November 19th 2012 UP THE MURRAY, OFF TO MT. GAMBIER & LAST DAYS IN ADELAIDE
by Words: 3070 Photos: 0
- November 1st 2012 Australia - The Beginning
by Words: 429 Photos: 0
- October 11th 2012 La la Jacuzzi, la la Jacuzzi
by Words: 414 Photos: 0
- October 2nd 2012 My first travel blog entry!
by Words: 486 Photos: 0
- September 27th 2012 Living in a land down under #1
by Words: 653673 Photos: 0
- September 13th 2012 We leave today
by Words: 19 Photos: 0
- August 10th 2012 Last-minute Melbourne
by Words: 2789 Photos: 22
- July 20th 2012 Melbourne and the Gaol
by Words: 444 Photos: 0
- May 11th 2012 Bucket List begins...
by Words: 175 Photos: 0