The Great Ocean Road, Philip Island and Neighbours!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » CBD
December 15th 2007
Published: December 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

As you read from my previous journal me and Vicki ,the English girl i met at my hostel in the city, decided to rent a car to go to see The Great Ocean Road! We rented it on the Friday night and drove to the town beside it called 'Geelong' as we thought we should stay there that night so that we didnt have to drive all the way there on the Saturday morning, instead we only had to drive a little bit and we would be on The Great Ocean Road! Woohoo!!! So we picked up the rental car, a nippy wee number in orange lol! We headed off (both with hangovers oops) and got to Geelong after about 2 hours drive, it was a nice town but we decided to keep driving as the only accomodation that was available was a horrible grungy little hostel that lets just say was minging to put it very nicely! So we kept driving and actually started The Great Ocean Road drive, we drove for about 30 minutes and came to a little town called 'Apollo Bay' which would be our home for the night. We checked in to 'Surfside Backpackers' which was lovely! It used to be a house and so the rooms were small and homely, it was brilliant! Me and Vicki were the only ones in the dorm so it was fab, we dumped stuff and headed down to the town to get some dinner as starving and had to feed the hangovers lol! So we got some fish and chips from the chippy and some goon from the bottle shop and sat on a park bench eating our food and drinking some vino-man i felt 16 again haha! After a few glasses (plastic lol) we headed back to th hostel to chill and head to bed as want to get up early to see the sights!
So the next morning we get up, ready and head out about 9ish. That day we drove quite a bit but stopping to see all the amazing stuff on the great old Great ocean Road! We stopped to see 'The 12 Apostles' which are basically big rocks coming up out of the sea-totally awesome! 'The London Bridge' which is a basically a rock which looks like London Bridge although some collapsed in 1990 which makes it even more famous as when it collapsed it left 2 people at the other end trapped-they had to be airlifted back to land! Other sights we seen were blowholes, which was totally amazing-huge big cliffs that waves crashed over-awesome sight! After we seen a couple of them we decided to stop for some lunch which we had got earlier on in the day at a shop so we seen a bench and sat down to chill for a half hour watching the humungous waves. Just as i was munching in to a cereal bar i felt Vicki pure hit my arm and shake it, i looked at her and for some reason know to be quiet, she was pointing to the ground so i looked down, and seen......A SNAKE! A big brown one slithering from underneath our bench over to the grass accross from us, i was gobsmacked! I quickly grabbed my camera that was luckily sitting beside me and took sum pics, i got a few-yey! As it slithered in to the grass me and Vicki just looked at each other and gave a little scream-Oh My God! We couldnt beleive it! We ate up and headed on a walk after this although always looking out for snakes lol, we never seen anymore! We were told that the brown ones were the deadliest so i was a bit wah but all good! It was cool to see one so close although imagining what could have happened if it went on us was scary lol! So after our little walk down by the waters edge and acting like eejits prancing about we headed back to the car to head to another stop. The whole drive there was awesome, by the cliffs and looking out over the crashing waves was just spectacular. That night we had planned to stay at the opposite end at a little town called 'Port Fairy' but once there we seen that there wasnt much to do so we just drove back to Apollo Bay and stayed at Surfside Backpackers again. On the way back i got pulled over by the police to do a breathaliser test, they were doing random stops, of course it came up clear so i got on my merry way again, it was so fun though doing it as i had never been asked to before! That night once back at the backpackers we chilled out, went for dinner and a walk then had some more goon lol! The following day we got up, i called home as it was my uncle Vincents 50th birthday then we headed to see the bits we had missed on the way to Appollo Bay the previous day. It was spectacular the sights of the waves, beaches etc, really beautiful! We stopped at lookouts and at a couple of beaches. Once it got to lunchtime we stopped at a little town and had some lunch at a cafe before chilling out on the Lorne beach for a half hour-ah bliss! We then went to another couple of lookouts and for a wee walk. After we had seen everything we wanted to we decided to head back to Melbourne city. It took us quite a while to get back as roads were getting busier as we neared the city due to it now being late afternoon. Eventually after getting lost many times and having a right laugh in the car, me and Vicki had such a fun time, we made it back to Elizabeth Street were aour hostel was! It had been a great weekend, really superb and a great laugh, Me and Vicki got on so well and had totally the same sense of hunour so we found ourselves laughing at everything! That night we decided we owed ourselves a night at PJ O'Briens for a night out, awesome!!!

One of our other day trips was to Phillip Island, a island just a couple of hours away from the city where you see seals at The Nobbie rocks in the water, a beach, a penguin parade which have the smallest penguins in the world coming out of the water and many more things. We had rented a car to do this too, so we headed off-only we had picked the most miserable day to go-pouring with rain, cold, and foggy! But we thought uch why not, lets just go and see what happens, it will be good no matter what! Well, that was a mistake! After driving all the way there we ended up going to the Chocolate Factory and a drive around before deciding to head back as we couldnt see a bloody thing because of the fog-so no seal, rocks, beach etc! Plus due to the rain and cold we couldnt even go for a walk so we sat in the car and had our packed lunches, seagulls then tried to attack the car for our food, man they must have been hungry-there was hundreds of them and of course to freak me out Vicki kept throwing them food!!!! wah! Nways, sfter that we decided that due to us not being able to see a thing we should head back to Melbourne city, on route though as we perused our Lonely Planet Guide we seen that there was a Koala and animal Conservation Centre in a nearby town called Grantsville so we headed there. It was awesome, we seen Koala's, parrots, a tasmanian devil, donkeys (i of course had to do my Shrek impression 'That'll do donkey, that'll do-so funny hehe) and loads more animals, it was so cool! The coolest thing though has got to have beenb feeding the Kangaroo's, it was amazing! They just ate straight off my hand and came right up to us, me and Vicki bend down to watch them and a few just came right up and sat beside us, putting theor feet on us-so cool!!!! We even got to see a couple of them with Joeys in their pouches-so cool!!!! aw!!! After watching them for ages and the other animals we decided to head back, we then thought well whilst we have the car why dont we got to the set of Ramsey Street so we tried but after going in many wrong directions including me driving up a one way street in the opposite direction with buses coming down it we decided for our safety to head back to the hostel for some warmth and some dinner! We had a right laugh though, singing along to the tunes on the radio etc. It took us quite few hours to get back due to the traffic in the city now it was late afternoon but we had fun so all was good! Once back it was late at night so we chilled out and had some dinner. The following morning the car didnt have to be back until 11 so we decided to get up early and drive the correct way to Ramsey Street so thats what we did, it was so cool! We seen all the houses although i was diappointed ad i didnt realise it wasnt actually called Ramsey Street-instead its called 'Pin Oak Court'!!! Nways, we got piccies of outside all the houses before the actual residents got too annoyed with us screaming lol! We dropped the car off, weyhey i had been to Ramsey Street!!!!

A few weeks after Vicki had left i had met 2 Scottish girls called Debbie and Laura who had said they wanted to go to 'The Neighbours night' which i also wanted to go to too so we booked it for the Monday before i left. It was fantastic! We started off in little pub for a couple of cheap vino's before heading to 'The Elephant and Wheelbarrow pub' where the night was held. It was basically a night were you go and get drunk, have fun doing Neighbours quiz's and meet some of the stars. We had a brilliant night! We met Zeke, Katya and their other sister who's name i cant remember and a couple of other stars-one who used to be in Hollyoaks and one who i am not sure is but hear he is Ned's brother? The other star i met was Karl Kennedy, yes Karl Kennedy-the one and only! It was awesome! Although he is def starting to look his age lol! He sang Happy birthday to Laura who had pretended it was her birthday-so funny!!! He also sang at the end of the night a song about Susan and Issy-so funny! It was really the song 'Who the * is Alice' only instead of Alice it was Susan-hilarious!!!! After a awesome night there i headed home about 11.30 as still hungover from all nighter the previous night so i headed back to hostel once the stars had left and night was starting to come to a end-it was brilliant though-what a laugh, and guess what-i met Karl Kennedy woohoo!!!!!!!xxxxxxxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 29


Advertisement



28th December 2007

haha
uncle vincent will be well chuffed you took ten years off his age hahaha if you phoned him for his 50th bithday youd only be 12 ya eejit hahaha brilliant need to mind n tell him that one hahaha
2nd January 2008

Blond strikes again
Oops haha, i meant 60 lol! Typing error lol!

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb