Finally some exploring...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Apollo Bay
April 23rd 2007
Published: April 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

After nearly three months in Melbourne and with our here time shortly coming to an end, we decided it was about time we ventured a saw a bit more of Victoria than we've managed so far. Finally getting round to it, we hired a car and headed out of the city to see the 'Great Ocean Road'.

The road itself starts in Torquay, the birthplace of surfing. We didn't actually have a go ourselves, that's yet to happen, but we took a look all the bodies floating around on boards in the sea, most of which don't seem to be doing much! The waves were pretty huge in parts though.

After that, we called in a small place called Anglesea and headed for the golf course! No, I hadn't convinced Caroline for a quick round of golf, but to see the kangaroos that can be found lazing around all over the course! There were hundred of them adn we got a great view of a huge group bouncing off in a line as some golfers hit their balls towards them! Maybe it has to be seen to . .. . be as funny! We've filmed it so watch out.

After that the most impressive part of the Great Ocean Road started, and we found ourselves either winding along the clifftops looking out over the ocean or taking a route inland as we approached national parks which took us through rainforests and hills. It all looked incredible and we seemed to jumping out of the car at every turn to take photos. (Finally we bought a new one after I cleverly sat on it and broke the screen - all off 4 months ago!). As the evening drew in, the wildlife came out and we were treated to a few more wallaby/kangaroo jumping out in the road as well as some koalas doing well, nothing other than looking cute hanging onto the trees.

We reached our stopover point just after sunset, Apollo Bay. A really picturesque little town, surrounded by lush green hills and with wide sandy beach infront. We also had the pleasure of staying in an Eco Hostel which must be one of the best hostels we're going to come across!

The following day we carried on West up the road and soon arrived in the Port Campbell national park. The coastline here has been shaped by the incredible rough seas and has a whole series of huge rock formations in the sea that were once part of the mainland. The 12 apostles were a popular spot (although there are no longer 12), are where some huge pieces of rock stand strong in the sea at nearly 50 metres high. And as we contined further along through the national park there was so much more to stop and see. The only trouble was the weather. It was completely overcast, and when the sun goes in we start to feel the cold. Add that weather strong cold winds gusting in your face as you stand on the clifftops and you start to feel uncomfortable. Caroline was particularly well prepared though - she wore nice small shorts and a pathetic thin cardigan! Needless to say, she soon had my nice warm hoodie as I stood there being a gentleman and freezing arse off. As the day wore on, the weather got worse and we turned back in the direction of Apollo Bay to make a the picturesque car journey once more, in a thick fog and travelling at 30km! By the time we got back we headed out for nice meal and a few drinks!

After our two nights away, it was time to return to Melbourne and we drove back once again on the Great Ocean Road, stopping off at any points we'd missed on the way out. By the time we got back we were knackered.

Tomorrow we make use of the car again and take a trip to Phillip Island....




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



24th April 2007

Contact!!!
Hello again, at last, something new to look at on your blog!!! And it was worth the wait. The photos are fantastic, I am so envious of all the lovely places and sights you've seen. If you ever want to come back to England it will be a miracle. You both look so well and seem to be having such a wonderful time, experiencing so much, can't help feeling jealous stuck in boring old work! The pics are really good quality, it was worth getting a decent camera, so many of these places are once in a lifetime experience so its good to have a decent record to look back on. Thanks for keeping in touch. Love the little koala! Loads of love to you both. Mumxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
24th April 2007

VIC
What great pictures - the coastline looks really spectacular. I can imagein all the kangaroos bouncing around. Really glad you are getting out and about a bit and seeing the scenery and countryside. Lovely to hear from you and speak soon. Tons and tons of love to both of you - glad you got a new camera!! Mum xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
25th April 2007

Query regarding the Grotto
Chris, the pictures are as interesting and entertaining as ever but, please tell me, what is the name of that big arch behind the grotto?

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0962s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb