Tasmania!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
March 18th 2011
Published: June 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We left for the Tasmanian Spirit (ferry) before anyone should have to wake up..about 6.30am ish on the 20th February, With the plans to stay until the following Sunday. The ferry was pretty choppy and Geoff, bless him, got a little sea sick. We watched a terrible film in the cinema, but saying that we were pretty chuffed the ferry had a cinema, so I'm not complaining! It took all day to get there, but finally at 6pm, we arrived in Devonport. We found a camp site close by to stay at in Latrobe. Apparently such a site was for self contained vehicles only, as the giant care-taker man told us, a few hundred times, over and over 😊 Eventually, after the continual repeating and explaining, we came to the conclusion that we could stay, 'but only tonight, and if the caravan park up the road see's you, I didn't speak to you' ahhh if only!!


The next day we made our way up and across the North coast. We got to Stanley, which was a beautiful view. (You'll notice that I'll use the word 'beautiful' a lot in this blog, and that’s because Tas is so so beautiful!) We stopped at a mountain like hill and Geoff decided we were going to walk up and then down it...although there was a perfectly good stair lift, but noooo, we walked it! The view was even more beautiful (there's that word again) from up there. After we had explored the coast and the views, we went to Cradle Mountain. Geoff did a 2day/1night walk on part of the Overland track, and climbed Barn Bluff. He was very brave, and slept on a very uncomfortable bush apparently, with nothing for company except nature. Geoff was hoping to do the three day trek, but unfortunately public transport is something to be desired in Tasmania, and the three day walking journey from Cradle Mountain to Lake St Clair would have taken 2 days to return by bus, plus a ridiculous amount of dollar! So Geoff made do with the two day/one night, and by god did he stink! Thank goodness it was only the one night, any longer and even nature would have refused to put up with it! Haha!!

After Cradle Mountain we made our way to Hobart. We didn't stay long, although it was a lovely place. We're not sure if it was a charity thing, or just a normal Tasmanian day, but there was hundreds of women and men dressed rather suggestively in red...and by suggestively I mean short skirts, boob tubes-and that was just the men! Very random!

I can't stress enough how gorgeous the views were when we were driving from place to place. Hopefully the photos will give you an idea, but wow! Geoff and I were constantly saying how stunning Tasmania was.

Any ways, after Hobart, we visited the Cadbury factory...mmmmm yum! As we entered the place, a big treasure chest was full of Dairy Milk chocolate bars! My belly's rumbling just thinking about it! They gave us so much free choc, was fab!


Throughout our travels through Tas, Muppet was really struggling...especially going up the hills, I think he managed 30k's p/h tops! We tried to ignore the fact that Muppet was poorly, but soon enough, between Triabunna and Swansea, Muppet had his
diva fit and blew his Head Gasket...nice one Muppet!! So there we were, stuck in the middle of bleeding nowhere!! Luckily there was a few houses and a caravan park a few K's behind us. The houses weren't much good, giving off the Texas chainsaw massacre vibe! So we walked up to the caravan park. As we walked, hunched and drained, a car drove past. Geoff tried to wave them to stop, but instead was greeted by animated Japanese tourists waving enthusiastically as they drove past! Bless 😊 Eventually we found the people who ran the park and explained our story, with sad little faces! They were such a lovely elderly couple! The old man towed Muppet back to the park and they let us stay for free! Letting us use their facilities and gave us free rein of the phone in the morning to call who ever we could to get us out of this predicament. Turned out this was a man called Carl, the local mechanic in Triabunna. The old man (feel bad, but have forgotten his name) towed us 18K's back to Triabunna, to Carl, our saviour!! The caravan park next to Carls shop put us up, with a 10% discount! Carl basically told Geoff what he needed to do to Muppet, then Geoff could do it all himself, so we wouldn't have to pay labour costs-which we didn't! When we were waiting for parts, we visited Maria Island. It was a very beautiful and interesting island. They kept convicts on the island, until they realised they were escaping (woops!) so decided against that idea 😊 We visited the painted cliffs and walked around the island. Worth the trip!

After Muppet was finally feeling better, we waved goodbye to our man Carl and were on our way again! Wooo! Muppet had a face lift, and was feeling very happy with himself!

We visited Wine glass bay, which was pretty stunning- post card material 😊

On our way through to each place we were lucky enough to see the most gorgeous beaches.. I'm talking clear blue water, white sand...heaven!

We visited caves, and experienced an amazing tour! They were magnificent!! Beautiful natural structures. We also got to see the funny little glow worms!

We visited a lovely farm too..full of Wallabies, Roo's, Wombats, Tasmanian Devils (crazy little things) etc. I had the pleasure (and by pleasure, I mean absolute DIS-pleasure) of being taken into the land of the Emu...I swear they are possessed-horrible scary things with red eyes, huge and very very unpleasant... rude bullies of the bird world I think! Never would I like to meet another one! haha!

Well...unfortunately our extended Tasmanian visit had to come to an end! Goodbye BEAUTIFUL Tas x



Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb