Tasafari - fantastic fun


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
February 23rd 2009
Published: February 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

I spent 5 of my 10 days in Tasmania on a Tasafari camping trip. Basically 9 of us toured around in a Toyota 4x4 with a camping trailer. Jen was our guide - and also the owner of Tasafari - she was great - pretty much a hippy that by far preferred sleeping out in her swag and cooking over an open fire to being at home (I believe she sleeps in her swag at home too actually - as I discovered a swag in a mattress rolled up in canvas that you put your sleeping bag into - prefect for sleeping under the stars !! We left Launceston and hiked at cradle mountain (one of the many national parks in Tasmania) - first nights accomodation was at an old mining site on a creek in the middle of no where - great spot. Over the next few days we got around to lots of the parks, did lots of hiking (usually 3-4 hours including a stop for lunch) to waterfalls and mountain tops (not the rockies, but it feels like it after awhile) We spent a few nights on the coast - beautiful sunsets. Our last night was by a small lake (reminded me of the cottage), the was a herd of cattle nearby and a number of playful possums joined us at the campfire. Our other wildlife sightings included a wombat, echidna and platypus (is platypai the plural??) Fortunately no snakes or spiders for me - although some of them did see snakes on the trails).
Great group on the camping - a very entertaining Scot with lots of great stories and a nack for finding the oddest people. I particularly liked the pick up line that she got from some middle age English guy that was not particularly good looking - "Great tits, nice ass, ok face, a bit of the pudgy side but we can cope with that - lets go back to my place !!). Also an American, English, dutch and german - all with lots of dirty/funny stories to tell around a campfire with a few beers !!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb