Grant and Rae's Oz Trip Feb/Mar 2014


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Hobart
March 3rd 2014
Published: March 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Another lovely day here in Tasmania.........caught the bus into Hobart.

Boarded the Mona (Museum of Old and New Art) ferry - the Mona Roma! On board, there are sheep (not real ones!) that you can sit on. I'm convinced that the name was thought up by a mischievous Scotsman........"Mona a big ferry and a cannae get aff"! Pleasant sail up the River Derwent to the Museum which was underwhelming at first sight. Probably because there is more of it under ground than there is above it.

Unusual entrance surrounded by a tennis court, trampoline, rusty statue of a cement mixer etc. Ultra-modern inside, though with a see-through lift shaft, some amazing cliff-like walls and so on. Extensive range of exhibits ranging from the interesting to the clever to the bizarre to the downright weird (in my opinion). We were there for over 2.5 hours and probably got round less than 1/5th of it. I really liked the waterfall that wrote words - difficult to explain without seeing it and it din't photograph well, as you'll find out...........but the flow of the water was controlled such that it came down in letters and words. I least liked the "poo machine", explaining how clever bacteria are at using the human body - it smelled as if something had died, a while ago!

Found another rusty sculpture, of a chapel complete with stain glass windows - very neat.

After returning on the Mona Roma, we visited the TMAG (Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery) because James had recommended the Antarctic section, which is particularly relevant to Tasmania since that's the next land mass that you hit if you go south from here. Mind you, it is still something like 2000 kilometres away.

James and Clare picked us up and we headed home for a super pork chop and 6 veg - Clare's on a mission to convert me to a fish-eating veggie!

Looks like my e-mail accounts been hacked........so if you get any funny mails saying that I'm in Hobart and lost all my money, ignore them!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb