Yorke Peninsular southern Coast


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Yorke Peninsula
April 17th 2013
Published: April 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Two EmusTwo EmusTwo Emus

Innes National Park
Wed 17th

After a clear star lit night, Wednesday dawned as a bright clear and almost cloudless, so it was a great day to go exploring.

One of the hazards of motor camps is over bright park lighting, and that effected us overnight. So, after Marg did a walk around, we moved to the other side of David's van and also parked at a different angle to dodge the problem for the second night.

That delayed departure for half an hour, and so we set off across the southern coast of Yorke Peninsular. If you look at the map, Edinburgh is at the heel of the boot, and we were going to drive along the sole of the boot to the toe at Innes National Park, Cape West.

We set out on the Scenic Drive with David and Mary in their 4wd Colorado. The road started as a good quality metal road past the wind farm towards the rather interesting lighthouse at Troubridge Hill. The road as far as Sheoak Beach was good, but as we continued around the coast the quality went down hill quick. The base rock the road was built on was very rough with bubbly small rocks embedded in the rock, so no matter how much grading, it was never going to be a good road.

We stopped and took photos of the coast before back tracking some distance and took an alternate road to Troubridge Hill, and this proved a good metal road. So we quickly drove up to the lighthouse where there are great panoramic views. The majority of lighthouses we have visited are historical, but this was built in 1980. The hole structure is interlocking curved red bricks.

We looked to continue along the coast road to Port Moorowie, but it too was very rough, so we back tracked a little and took a road to Yoketown. This was a little better, and we finally arrived, 15ks from our starting point for the day some 2 1/2 hours later.

After a quick stop in a shady lunch spot in town, and a surveillance of the famous bakery in Yorketown, we headed west along the sealed road to Marion Bay and the Innes National Park. This road was largely through grain country, and very easy driving. As the road swung more south towards Marion Bay, the country changed and there seemed to be much less developed and of poor quality. None the less, the golden green tones.

We arrived at the National Park entrance, paid the $8.00 entrance fee, and we were off exploring. We drove for quite some kilometres through the scrubby heath with the odd break where there were interesting salt lakes. The colours of the heath were mellow autumn tones with the odd dash of deep red foliage. We drove up a small hill and there was an instant chorus of WOW from all four.

From there, the cameras were out very regularly as we traversed the park through to West Cape.

The first stop was at Cape Spencer lighthouse, high on a headland. The cliffs have interesting formations and multiple layers of rock and sandstone. Also, embedded in the natural stone were shiny crystallised inclusions. Not sure what type of rock, but the rows of crystals made bars and fish rib patterns.

We spoke to some folk who told us that there was nothing at Innes Park. They must have walked around blind folded, or maybe they were shopaholics looking for Myer Centres. The coastal scenes are great, rock formations
The wind farmThe wind farmThe wind farm

Southern coast of Yorke Peninsular
interesting, colourful heath, pearl looking salt lakes.

Next on our journey the co-pilot directed the driver to the left to the site of the ship wreck, The Ethel. In 1904, the Ethel was wrecked on this coast. In fact, two ships were wrecked on this coast in quite quick succession. For many years the rib skeleton of the Ethel and the Boiler of the Ferret were on the beach. After 110 years, corrosion and effects of wind and tidal surges, there is not much left now. In 5 years I guess one will see nothing other than the Ethel's Anchor which has been preserved on the cliff top.

We turned further west to the West Cape Lighthouse, probably about 4 ks away.

This is another WOW spot! Glad, as co-pilot, and despite all of us being tired, we were glad we came to this point on the peninsular.

The sea is so clean and clear - just hard to describe. The sun shimmers on it, the colours reflect changes on the sea floor. (Rock, sand, weed etc)

The view across Pondalowie Bay is SPECTACULAR. DO NOT MISS THIS SPOT!!!!

After our photo stop at
Finger over the cliffFinger over the cliffFinger over the cliff

The road surface is not dissimilar to the foreground.
the lookout, we drove back to Marion Bay for an icecream before heading home.

Ice creams duly consumed, the Co-Pilot was trusted with the keys to drive home.

Have you ever noticed how much quicker the return journey is compared with the outbound? Even after a stop to buy big CUSTARD SLICES from the Yorketown Bakery, we arrived home about 1 1/2 hours later.

Now, about custard slice, Marg and I shared one, but I have every reason to believe some others ate one each! Any way, one must commend this bakery for their spectacular custard slice - big and yummy. I wonder if we might not revisit Yorketown for further supplies!


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

From a distanceFrom a distance
From a distance

Troubridge light house. We were not sure if we would get to the lighthouse.
YorketownYorketown
Yorketown

A Beautiful home
A surviving Hillman MinxA surviving Hillman Minx
A surviving Hillman Minx

Better than the last one Dad!
DANGERDANGER
DANGER

Anyone who is drawn by tasty food is in peril here!


18th April 2013

Great photos again
Another interesting blog. It was good to see some beach scenes in the rough coast line. Dry areas rain in great need. Liked the Hillman brings back memories and years ago too. Glad you had a good time yesterday. Lunch is ready so into the eats but not bakery kind!
10th May 2013

Finger?
Don't understand the 'finger over the cliff' pic.
11th May 2013

Finger over cliff
The windblown bush looks rather like a figure lifted over the cliff face. Though my arty sis/inlaw would see that!

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.1101s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb