Ardrossan to Edithburgh


Advertisement
Published: April 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 16th

Morning broke with some light cloud, but the sun soon gave us a bright day to enjoy.

Before leaving Ardrossan, we dropped into the local bakery. This one is really good, so we left with yummy things for morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea. They have some special slices, the nut slice is really great apparently. We went with a cinnamon and apple lunch log, chocolate custard and cream bun (not unlike an éclair) and apricot slice.

We headed south with first stop being Port Julia where we had a quick thought for our PM. This is just a small hamlet but in years gone by, coastal ships came here to collect grain. The current jetty wouldn't support trade these days. The location is popular with fishing people and an easy place to launch a boat.

After a cuppa and apricot slice, we headed south to Port Vincent. This is a really great little coastal town with a lot of public pride. The town has won the Tidy Town award several times in the last few years, and it was easy to see why. There are numerous old time houses immaculately presented and trimmed with
Safe WatersSafe WatersSafe Waters

Stansbury
beautiful gardens and lawns. This is a dry area, so I suspect the lawn may have been artificial, but made the garden picture complete.

Stansbury is just a little further south and again an attractive sea front village with an attractive foreshore. We enjoyed the location as our lunch stop before heading through Wool Bay, Port Giles where a ship was being loaded with grain, Coobowie, and then finally Edithburgh.

Coobowie was chosen by early explorers as a location for a big city. However, no matter how and where they searched, found no fresh water. The location was called Desception Bay, but has been returned to its original tribal name.

Edithburgh is a favourite town for keen fisherman. There is fishing from shore, or a quick boat ride out into the gulf for snapper and larger fish. On the adjoining site to us, the family had caught two squid. They claim that if it is caught, cooked and eaten the same day, it is delicious. In fact, a couple of folk I talked to here prefer the local squid to the other edible fish caught here.

The camp ground has a great facility - a fish cleaning facility that is very eco-friendly. I am not sure that the Greens would agree, but it is almost without smell and little further attention is required. See the photos for a full description.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Wind erosionWind erosion
Wind erosion

Cliff face at Port Julia with a facial sculpture.
Time for a sun tanTime for a sun tan
Time for a sun tan

Well, get preened any way.
Port VincentPort Vincent
Port Vincent

Launching a boat off the beach.
The ForeshoreThe Foreshore
The Foreshore

Port Vincent
The old Wool shedThe old Wool shed
The old Wool shed

Now a real estate agent
Old houseOld house
Old house

in Port Vincent
Main StreetMain Street
Main Street

Port Vincent
low tidelow tide
low tide

Stansbury
FossickingFossicking
Fossicking

Colourful shells on the shoreline.
Port GilesPort Giles
Port Giles

Grain ship being loaded
Port GilesPort Giles
Port Giles

Cliffs and silos
Waste disposal unitWaste disposal unit
Waste disposal unit

Environmentally friendly. Little smelly waste.


16th April 2013

Enjoyable pix and comment
Quite different pix this time and not fair to mention the yummy weight producing naughty stuff you stuffed yourselves with. It's a wonder you did not send a pix of you eating it all! Some people are just too lucky for words. My diet is ab's for a week but I will be much slimmer than you guys!
18th April 2013

your blogs
I am so enjoying your blogs and photos, and am so glad you seem to be having a wonderful time, please look after yourselves.Love to you both.
10th May 2013

Kangaroo Is.
Did you see it from Yorke Penin.? Quite a tourist place is it? Have heard of it....
10th May 2013

Brian
Oh, the mention of Apricot slice............Brian had it almost every day in his lunch box!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb