Day 31


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Tanunda
March 9th 2011
Published: March 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Bedford Delivery truckThe Bedford Delivery truckThe Bedford Delivery truck

Rick had to pose, this is the model truck he drove around Christchurch NZ in another life delivering Coal.
No great rush to start the day, if you are going to tour the wine trail who wants to be “Sampling wine before lunch”? nope, neither of us!!

We chose the “Self guided wine trail tour; this takes you around a lot of wineries and “Cellar Door” sales areas.
We did set an aim to visit the Wolf Blass visitors centre, as well as possibly have an evening meal at one of the winery’s restaurants.

Well even leaving and beginning at around 10:30am we went into the info centre in the town to check out any thing of further of interest, but chose to continue along the self guided tour.

We decided the trail was not as clear as it could be as we followed the number 4 signs, they were faded and not very well placed to pick up at times.

We managed to travel and crisscross a lot of roads without feeling the inclination to “drop in to try” any wines.

Eventually we set sail for the Wolf Blass Visitor centre and figured it had won SA tourist awards so we could have lunch there and maybe “test” some wine.
Well this proved to
The Whispering WallThe Whispering WallThe Whispering Wall

The Barossa Water Reserve, with the unique feature of be able to talk in a normal voice on one side can be clearly heard on the other.
be a nice visitors centre with the history of Wolf Blass etc, but the wine tasting room was overstaffed with people wanting to have you taste the wine and the small coffee shop didn’t entice us to eat.

No way was Rick going to spend $20 on a bottle of wine he can buy for $7 at Dan Murphy’s so we left there without a taste nor any food.

We headed to Jacob’s Creek visitor centre, and at 2pm it was way past food time, and anyone that knows Karon, do NOT delay feed time for too long or she gets grumpy!!
We sat down and ordered our meal, the meal was very scrumptious and we enjoyed it very much with ONE glass of Chardonnay.
Again the cellar door prices way to high and certainly we definitely are not wine connoisseurs, so we left with full tummy.
We chose to head to the whisper wall, which is the reservoir built as an early engineering marvel, in fact the first type of dam built in the Southern hemisphere.
An amazing structure where you can speak quietly in a normal voice, and the person on the other side can hear
The Biggest Rocking Horse in the WorldThe Biggest Rocking Horse in the WorldThe Biggest Rocking Horse in the World

Certainly made for extra large size kids.
the conversation clearly.
We moved on from here to visit the Biggest Rocking Horse in the world.
The 60ft high weighing in at around 25 tons, it is truly a large rocking horse.
The adjoining toy factory was well worth a walk through with some wonderful wooden toys.
Back to our home with a still full tummy and saturated with information and views.
Planning for our further travels became a decision to head to the birthplace of paddle steamers in Australia, on the banks of the Murray River at Mannum.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The Child withinThe Child within
The Child within

We all have a kid inside us


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb