Day 32


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Mannum
March 10th 2011
Published: March 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Mighty MurrayThe Mighty MurrayThe Mighty Murray

The River is very full at Mannum. and not to far below the levee at the Caravan park
We have this pack up and move so together it is very simple and no challenge at all.
We were on the road by 9:35am, GEE 5 minutes late! But the trip planned was only around an hour so it didn’t matter so much.
We travelled along some of the roads we had travelled yesterday in our crisscross of the Barossa Wine trail, but then found ourselves on new roads and a huge water pipe running alongside the road, which is the Mannum – Adelaide pipeline.
We arrived at our destination at around 11am, booked in for one night and found out that it is a long weekend here in SA (Adelaide cup) so the parks are expecting a busy weekend or are already booked out.

We managed a site for one night with an option of another, but booked out after that.
We set up and headed out for a walk of the town and a visit of the Paddle steamer and museum.

We discovered the paddle steamer is only running for a couple of days on the “long weekend”
Oh well we managed a walk over the Marion one of the early paddle steamers that had been
In the State Room on the Paddle Steamer MarionIn the State Room on the Paddle Steamer MarionIn the State Room on the Paddle Steamer Marion

"Lady Karon" awaiting table service
recommissioned and refurbished as a tourist attraction run by volunteers.

The attached museum was an hour well spent learning about the town’s history as well as the floods, especially the 1956 flood that absolutely had devasting affects on the whole Murray system and towns along this flood plain.

We left there to find a small shop for some scones and coffee, as well as a chat to an Adelaide guy explaining the best places to visit along the Murray system and the shop owner giving us a run down on roads to head along to our next destination, this being around the Renmark area.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Mannum HotelMannum Hotel
Mannum Hotel

The 1956 flood actually reached the verandah of the hotel. They kept serving of course! But certainly a lot higher than the flood experienced at the moment.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb