Lake Eyre, Roxby & here


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Murray Bridge
August 8th 2011
Published: August 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Karumba to Murray Bridge - sort of


Well we didn’t end up staying in William Creek because the road was in good nick & we go out there at about 9.30am. Instead we buggered off down to Lake Eyre on the worst 62km of National Park road that graces this country. Luckily the view was fantastic when we eventually arrived. The size of this lake is unbelievable. There is no way you can see from one side to the other. We got some good pics & had lunch among the sticky flies & sea gulls (not an actual sea, you stupid sea gulls...).

That night we stayed at a place called Coward Springs. It used to be a stop for the Ghan Railway & had a pub & everything going on. Now the only thing left is a couple of restored buildings, that look pretty cool & the natural spa, that is warmed bore water that flows up to a pool. The kids & I gave it a go at about 8am in the morning. Surprisingly nice!

I was looking forward to this part of the trip as I was expecting the Oodnadatta Track to be a bit of fun. Well it wasn’t. It was in good condition & we could comfortable cruise at 100kph without too many hassles. Part of Borefield Road that led us to Leah at Roxby Downs was a bit rough, but nothing to write home about – like I sort of just did!?!

On Saturday arvo we arrived at Leah’s place & she had been nice enough to leave the place open for us to wreck before she got home with her fella Scott & their little cute young man, Brody. They had been at the local racing carnival & were properly jolly when they got back – good to see. Leah had even got up at some ungodly hour that morning to prepare salads & stuff for the dinner that we had. Awesome BBQ, followed up by awesome Essendon beating Sydney, crazy cocktails by Scott & some time around the fire outside. The next morning we seedily got up & eventually out for lunch at a little mining town close by called Andamooka. Good Chicken Parma at the pub with hair of the dog sorted everything out beautifully. That night Suz & I thought we’d cook everyone a nice lamb roast. I was a touch distracted by UFC & TED 5 Seeds so I buggered the potatoes – boo. We had a nice last night in Roxby with the family anyways.

Today we saw off Leah & Brody to work & day care (Scott was still in bed, the lucky bugger!) & then we were on the road before 8.30am. Lucky, because we didn’t make it here to Murray Bridge until 5.45pm. We travelled a few of the back roads which was nice. A lot of country like in Tassie with the hills & green grass. We also stopped off at the Jim Barry winery & picked up a couple of bottles. Predictably Suz couldn’t leave them alone so one is gone already! ;-)

Off to Melbourne tomorrow to see Bec & Chris. Really looking forward to Goofy Pizza..... er, I mean seeing Bec & Chris. ;-) Then off on the boat on Friday before seeing Daffy & Greg on Saturday (I hope that is OK with you guys – I’ll get Suz to ring you), as we missed them here on the mainland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb