Feeding the Pelicans


Advertisement
Published: January 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Feeding timeFeeding timeFeeding time

Hungry pelicans
One of the rituals when visiting KI is to feed the local pelicans with the leftovers after filletting the day's catch of fish. In these images, Opa shows Dan how it is done.

It takes surprisingly little to get the attention of the pelicans. The squawk of a seagull is usually enough. They then start to fly in, usually quite low over the water and often in formation and from several kilometres away. It is am impressive sight seeing such big birds in the air.

As they get close to the feeding site they often do a water landing. Their legs go out in front and with feet flexed, they basically ski into shore. Then they waddle up the beach and start indicating that they are should be favoured with fish (opening their enormous beaks, making rather loud and deep noises and advancing on your fish bucket with some determination).

Its good to feed them one fish at a time, getting the birds to come to you. It gives you a better appreciation of the bird's size when they are close. By holding your fish high, the pelicans can get under it and you can see what it
First - call them inFirst - call them inFirst - call them in

Pelicans fly in from all over the river like squadrons when there are fish to be shared.
looks like inside that enormous beak. You could also toss the fish bits in the air and watch the sword battle that results - beak crashing against beak - but the agile seagulls are often the winners of the fish prize. You can often see lumps in their necks where the head of a fish is making its way down the bird's throats.

Once the food is gone it is good to rinse off your bucket and yourself. The seagulls tidy-up any of the smaller pieces and everyone seems happy.

If you are in American River, but don't have any fish, you can still experience the feeding of the pelicans. At the wharf there is a small bait shop. They feed the pelicans at at 4pm every day. You can find out more about pelicans at this web site

Dan says ...




Feeding pelicans is a bit scary because you never know if they are going to bite your fingers. I kept on letting go so they wouldn’t have a chance to bite me. I really liked catching fish with Opa - he knew where they were and took us there on his boat.

Joke poem

Pelican, pelican
Your beak can hold more than you belly can!






Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Wash up your handsWash up your hands
Wash up your hands

... and your knees if you have to Dan!


8th January 2006

Great Memories
Hi Dan, we enjoyed your article on feeding the pelicans at American River. It brought up great memories of our trips to KI and the great times and great fish we enjoyed with your grand-parents. Keep up the good work!

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0182s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb