Birdsville to Clayton Wetlands


Advertisement
Published: August 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 5 Birdsville to Clayton Wetlands

We didn't have a fire overnight and Luke was keen to get driving, so he took off in the 4wd for a while... only problem is that he didn’t take Dad, our belongings and me! When he returned (nearly an hour later!) we soon packed up and were on our way with Birdsville behind us.

The Birdsville track was pretty uneventful. We passed through the gibber desert and to a town called Mungarannie. There were some broken down old trucks there. We came across some cows that found shelter from the sun under a tree - when I took a photo they soon ran away.

We came across our camp site at Clayton Wetlands, 57km north of Maree, attracted by the free showers and spa. Here, water spurts out of the earth at nearly 98 degrees. It it has to flow over a kilometre before its cool enough for cows to drink. There are toilets with flushing water, a wind powered fan, a solar panel and timer controlled battery light for night, and a spa which had hot water. Luke was the first to jump straight into the spa with a beer, followed by Dad. It did smell a bit of sulphur, hence why I didn't go in.

It was a bit windy when we made our camp and there were the famous words from Luke "it will die down". We went to sleep with quite a bit of wind blowing - little did we know what was to come…


Distance today: 487 km
Total distance: 2198 km



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Spa at Clayton WetlandsSpa at Clayton Wetlands
Spa at Clayton Wetlands

The water is hot!
Spa at Clayton WetlandsSpa at Clayton Wetlands
Spa at Clayton Wetlands

Enjoying a nice cold beer


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb