Innamincka to Birdsville


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Birdsville
July 11th 2006
Published: August 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 4 - Innamincka to Birdsville

We packed up camp and Luke did the usual of cooking too many patties, so I had a breakfast (not by choice, again!) of cooked meat... We soon got on our way with Dad at the wheel. Soon enough we came across some bull dust which Dad hit at quite high speed, causing us to fly about the car (and the cow hoof that was sitting on the back towbar must have fallen off)!

After passing a car that must have hit the bull dust a little too fast we joined the Birdsville track and passed over the Queensland border. Luke found great delight in yelling at the top of his voice how much gibber (rocks in the desert) there was, trying to sell some on the two-way radio. We found a tree (yes, it was hard to find) where we had lunch and then proceeded to Birdsville.

Birdsville was the biggest town we'd seen for three days with a population of 120 (not 120 thousand, just 120). Some of the comforts of a big city, like mobile phone coverage haven't reached here yet, but there is an airstrip next to the
Gibber plainsGibber plainsGibber plains

Lots of rocks going cheap! Anyone want some gibber?
pub.

Matt bought the best stubby holder in the world for $8 (pic to follow soon) and we filled up with diesel for $1.54/litre. We had a bit of a look around but the most interesting thing for Luke was the Birdsville pub, where he acquired a carton of XXXX Bitter for $44 and Dad got talking to a guy that bought a 4wd from our next door neighbour in the Adelaide Hills.

We setup camp alongside the Diamantina River, which (unusually) had water in it from the cyclones in Jan 2006 in northern Queensland.

For dinner Matt, Luke and Esther went to the Birdsville pub for - surprise surprise - a BBQ. It wasn't as good as the ones we had back at camp, but it filled the stomach. Over lunch we got talking to a mad man from Austria and his painting buddy who were in town for one or two more days. Then it was back to the camp for an early night.

Distance today: 342 km
Total distance: 1711 km



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Tree full of GalahsTree full of Galahs
Tree full of Galahs

Where's Alf Stewart when you need him?


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb