Adelaide Botanical Gardens


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
February 19th 2006
Published: February 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Botanical gardens walk


It was Dan's choice of walk today and he chose the Adelaide Botanical Gardens. These gardens are located on North Terrace in Adelaide city. We spent 3 hours wandering around these lovely gardens and I managed to take 94 pictures! A selection of them are saved here.

We started out walk in the park behind the zoo (access from Hackney Road). On Sunday the car parking is free - and of course there is no charge to enter the gardens. There is a fee to get into the Rainforest Conservatory, but more about that later.

On the North west corner of the park is where we entered. From here we went to the kiosk and bought lunch and headed past the Duck pond and in front of the Palm House for our picnic. We headed inside to check out the weird Madagascar plants, the watery grotto and the pretty clear and blue glass panels. Next was the cactus garden to find many spiny delights.

Deciding method was better than madness, we planned to walk the perimeter paths of the gardens and proceeded to head South towards the North Terrace Entrance. There were plenty of plants, statues, pavilions, sneaky
BelladonaBelladonaBelladona

Poisonous
paths and ducks. We saw an amazing Queensland Kauri pine that was HUGE, and then headed to the Australian bush section (South East corner) to see what the names of the plants we had been seeing on our bush walks were. Our quest was to find a golden wattle as Dan had been studying Australian symbols in class this week.

Working North we saw a small rectangle lily pond and a monument to the Brownies (Brown Owl) that I had never noticed before. We then went to the Rainforest Conservatory. It cost $10 for a family ticket. The plants were great and the humidity intese. There were quite a few birds as well. The White-browed Wood Swallows have been introduced to tackle a caterpillar problem that was causing the palms to be stripped. Two Noisy Pittas hop around on the ground - and appeared quite keen to be photographed. Boxes with weird insect specimens provided much interest.

Next was the Rose garden - my favourites were the Brass Band floribundas. There was a movie of a wedding happening in the rose garden while we were there. I had the feeling it was a staged piece - no guests or
DucksDucksDucks

Dan's photo - I love the composition of this one even if it is out of focus.
parents etc.

The Italian garden is being redeveloped and promises to be quite nice - I noted another coffee shop is planned. We walked down the lane lined with Morton Bay figs and over to the kiosk before going past the Museum and visiting the big Lily pond. The lilies were huge!

We finished up visiting the Wollemi Pine (before 1994 it had only been known of in fossil records) and then passing through the herb /cottage garden area (old rose garden) where we saw enormous sunflowers.

Dan says...



The Botanical gardens was a good choice - and it was my choice.
Not only were there lots of plants there were heaps of animals. I saw ducks, tortoises, giant fish, birds (parrots, noisy pitta), centipedes, scorpions, crickets, stick insects and giant snails (in the rainforest section). And before we arrived I could smell animal poo from the zoo next door.

The joke for this week:

Q: What do you call a girl with a frog on her head?
A: Lily




Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

LiliumLilium
Lilium

Near the duck pond
Centre of Palm houseCentre of Palm house
Centre of Palm house

The plants of Madagascar feature in the Palm house
Magagascar plantMagagascar plant
Magagascar plant

Alluaudia procera (Didieraceae family)
OuchOuch
Ouch

Hey this Echidnocactus reminds me of something else - an echidna!
Yackas in the gardenYackas in the garden
Yackas in the garden

The Biology Economics building is in the far background
Red flowering gumRed flowering gum
Red flowering gum

In the Australian bush section
SculptureSculpture
Sculpture

A glass and water sculpture outside of the Rainforest Conservatory.
Arty shotArty shot
Arty shot

Can you see us?
Humidity in the ConservatoryHumidity in the Conservatory
Humidity in the Conservatory

sprinklers came on for this shot
Noisy PittaNoisy Pitta
Noisy Pitta

One of 2 Noisy Pita birds kept in the Rainforest Conservatory to fossick in the leaf litter.


21st February 2006

looks like a wonderful way to spend a sunday
22nd February 2006

Great choice of venue
Dan, this was a great place to go. You'll find that every time you visit there'll be new plants to see and new people too. It's always fun.
22nd February 2006

Hi Helen
Thanks for your comment. Will we see some of the same people too? It is an extra good place as there are shops to buy lunch.
25th February 2006

hi there, it was great to see the gardens looking so good, nice shots Diana.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb