Silver mine at Scott Creek


Advertisement
Published: October 18th 2005
Edit Blog Post

At Dan's request, we explored the Silver mine in the Scott Creek Conservation Park today. This is a great walk/adventure for people with young children (say about 5-10 years old). Remember to bring a torch for the tunnel walk!!!

How to get there..


From the city we took Unley Road, Belair Road, past Windy Point, Main Road, through to Coramandel Valley, then Cherry Gardens Road and Dorset Vale Road, which traverses the Park. In the bottom of a gully is where the car park is.

The mine is called the Almanda mine, which after failed copper and ore mining in 1850, a successful silver strike was made in 1868, causing a flurry of activity for a couple of years, resulting in 310kg of silver.

There are 2 parts to this section of the Conservation park. The first part looks at some shafts and an old chimney. Then you cross the road and do the Eys tunnel and creek walk. We added in a hill climb on each side, and had a picnic lunch in the middle to take up about 2.5 hours, but you could do the marked trail in an hour or so.

What happenned

Dan at Scott CreekDan at Scott CreekDan at Scott Creek

Equipped with a torch, Dan was ready to explore the silver mine.


We had a glorious day and the spring flowers and orchids were magnificent. A thunder storm was brewing which made for an interesting sky and the occasional roar of thunder. Animals spotted included koalas, snakes, bearded dragons, sleepy lizards, skinks and something with shiny red eyes at the end of the Eys tunnel. At our picnic we saw flame breasted robins and superb blue wrens.

We stopped at Windy point on the way back as the visibilty was pretty good.

Dan says ...





Boy it is dark in here! Too bad Dad got my torch! I let Mum use one of my torches - it could transform into a morse code lamp. It even came with a chart for understanding morse code.
We didn't find any silver, but at least we found some neat animals - we saw a huge spider, a snake (I didn't see that one) a sleepy lizard and a bearded dragon. Did you know that if you see a bearded dragon on a pole it means that its going to rain (it is looking for shelter). They make themselves very tall and push their head high away from their bodies Image.

This week's joke:
Q. What did the hotel manager say to the elephant?

A. Sorry, I thought that was your trunk.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Mine buildingsMine buildings
Mine buildings

The walk has plenty of signs to describe the history of the silver mine
ChimneyChimney
Chimney

Peter giving Dan a lesson in mining. Did you know it was the Cornish who built circlular chimneys and the Welsh who built square?
Sleepy lizardSleepy lizard
Sleepy lizard

These lizards are on the move at this time of year. We also saw bearded Dragons, skinks and snakes today.
Eys tunnelEys tunnel
Eys tunnel

The Eys workings includes a trip into a tunnel.
A long dark tunnelA long dark tunnel
A long dark tunnel

It was muddy and dark - don't go in without a torch
The endThe end
The end

When we shone our torch to the end there was a pair of shiny eyes staring back at us - probably an enormous spider ...
Tree rootsTree roots
Tree roots

The Eys workings included an open cut section - Dan was impressed with these tree roots.
From Eys to the car parkFrom Eys to the car park
From Eys to the car park

The walk back to the car park went along the creek. Plenty of wildflowers and orchids lined the path - a glorious day!
Cherry GardensCherry Gardens
Cherry Gardens

This Google Earth map shows Adelaide and Cherry Gardens. The Scott Creek Conservation Park park is to the east of Cherry Gardens.


Tot: 0.26s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 10; qc: 83; dbt: 0.1231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb