Port Adelaide - the 3 bridge tour


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide » Port Adelaide
June 27th 2009
Published: June 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Three bridges

Our bike ride around PortAdelaide's three bridges

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Dolphins 11 secs
2: View from Diver bridge 18 secs
Today Dan and did a local adventure. We took our bikes for a ride and revisited Port Adelaide. This has been the site for a new development - NewPort - which has seen the construction of muti-story accommodation and marinas. It is interesting to compare this trip to our last blogged Port Adelaide visit in July 2005.

We called this the 3 bridge tour - the Jervois, the Birkenhead and the brand new Tom (Diver) Dereck bridges. There is a 4th - a railway only bridge - the Blessed Mary MacKillop bridge.

First we visitied the mangroves at the southern end at newport. There is a small walkway that allows you to see the roots of these trees. We then checked out the NewPort apartments which were nothing more than earthworks 4 years ago. Although there are plenty of apartments, the place was strangely quiet for a sunny winters afternoon.

There was a great garden display adjacent to the Jervious bridge that recognised where the Kaurna people camped regularly before colonisation.

We then crossed the Jervois bridge and followed the wharf in front of the TAFE to the Birkenhead bridge. Plenty of folks fishing and relaxing here.

As we crossed the Birkenhead bridge we saw many Dolphins playing together, and seagulls nesting on the poles. Every bouy had a shag on it drying it's wings.

After exploring under the new bridges we went and had a drink at the Birkenhead Hotel and then crossed the last bridge - Diver - before travelling down Saint Vincent street and heading home (across Jervois again).

An excellent adventure - with lots of lovely photo opportunities.




Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Mangroves walkwayMangroves walkway
Mangroves walkway

much cleaner than last time


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb