Heysen trail - Jupiter Creek


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide Hills » Mylor
November 11th 2007
Published: November 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Introduction


This was a shortish walk in the Adelaide Hills called Jupiter Creek. The loop trail takes in a piece of the Heysen trail. The walk is 5 minutes away from Hahndorf - a German 'touristy' town where you can see all manner of quirky germanic things.

How to get there


From the city, head up Glen Osmond road to the freeway. Continue on the freeway until the exit leading to Hahndorf. From the main street of Harndorf look out for the large brown signs leading to Jupiter Creek Mine. There are several turns and about 5 kms before you arrive at the car park for the walk.

What happened..


We were rained on. It doesn't happened very often in South Australia, but it happened today. A sporadic shower dumped on us big time. We had a few safeguards - a waterproof picnic blanket that was converted to a canopy and a golf umbrella/come walking stick for shelter and rain coats - but still we got wet.
The Heysen trail section was lovely and there certainly was interest in all the (fenced-off) mine holes - although the images used in the signs were a bit misleading - they were of mines on Yorke Peninsula, not Jupiter Creek! Regardless, if you have 5 or so year olds, then this is the walk for your family! But bring your torch as there is a tunnel that you can explore while you are here - we forgot so had to leave this part.

Dan says...



This was a while ago Mum - how am I supposed to remember? I remember the rain - it belted down. It happened during our picnic making our sandwiches soggy . The strawberry farm at Hahndorf was also good. We got some jams and a Cooper's stout BBQ sauce that Dad likes a lot.

And now a joke for you
Q: What goes up when the rain comes down?
A: An umbrella





Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Heysen trailHeysen trail
Heysen trail

Note Dan is wearing the picnic blanket and Peter has the umbrella - me, I am wearing the rain jacket!


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb