Sunday walk at Mount George


Advertisement
Published: November 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mount George

Starting at the GPO you go down Greenhill Road past Urailda - and then onto Rifle Range Road to Mt George Road

CreekCreekCreek

There was good water flow in the creek- but there certainly was evidence that the water had been much higher after the heavy spring rains in Adelaide.

Introduction



Well after a week off on essential house maintenance issues ... the SA-hiker family headed off for new frontiers (well at least for us) this Sunday. The inspiration for this walk came from the book "Adelaide for Kids" by James Muecke.

The Park was called Mount George Conservation Park - a small park which was a little run down (the toilets had been boarded up) and located right next to the zooming cars of the South Eastern freeway.

But this only slightly lowered the serenity levels. The Heysen trail passes through the Park, as does a creek with babbling cascades, there are enormous trees, hills to climb, rocky outcrops and many birds and frogs. Very nice.

A web site about the park is available. It would be a nice Park for a family visit as there was a mown grass area and a stone BBQ by the two dams. The walking was easy and the paths were well labelled.

The best way to view the photos is to select the "Full image" link on the first image to open the picture in a new window and then use the "Next" link to scroll through
Tall treesTall treesTall trees

The soil must be very deep in this region as the trees were very tall.
them.

To get there ...



From the city head up Green hill Road until you pass through Uraidla. Then a few kms out, turn right on to Rifle Range Road. Follow this until you get to a left hand turn for Mt. George Road. This is a No through Road that terminates at the park.

Dan says ...



Boy I was lucky today because mum was sick we only had to a 1/2 hour walk.

It was a good park and the rocky out crop along the Heysen trail was the perfect place to hide. There were lots of rocks and you could lie down and hide.

The creek was flowing but there was clues that the water had been much higher. Some plants on the bank were flat.

I found I bull ant that was very big.

Part of the park was burnt out. When I sniffed the air it smelt that the fire had happened only 2-3 days before. This part of the Park had been set on fire on purpose. It protects the Park from burning again. The fuel for the fire can not be used again. The tree tops were still green but the bark was black.

And now for this week's joke...

Q: What do get if you cross bambi with a ghost?
A: Bam-boo!





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Mountain goatMountain goat
Mountain goat

no that is Dan
Set shotSet shot
Set shot

Set shot of Dan at the Rocky out crop on the Heysen trail
Burnt out regionBurnt out region
Burnt out region

A section of the Park had recently had a cool burn off to reduce the fuel load (undergrowth). The tops of the trees were still green.
Burnt treeBurnt tree
Burnt tree

My attempt at art.
Heysen trailHeysen trail
Heysen trail

This was called the Tiersmen Bridge
Giant antGiant ant
Giant ant

This really was the largest ant I have ever seen! I have seen inch ants but this one was larger (~3 cm) and chunkier. And it had strong legs - you could even see under it! This was a very scary photo to take.
CascadeCascade
Cascade

Add in frog and bird sounds to the babbling cascade and you can really get the picture.
Peter on Tiersmen bridgePeter on Tiersmen bridge
Peter on Tiersmen bridge

Dan and I were off exploring the creek.
MapMap
Map

A quick snap of the map is always good to take before you go on your walk so if you are uncertain you can always access the file and double check where you are.


28th November 2005

Dear Diana,Peter and Dan. Thank you for sending those wonderfull trips to us we love them. Keep them coming. Love Peter and Tinyxx
21st December 2005

To Peter and Tiny
Thank you for your comment. I am glad you are enjoying the blog. We look forward to reading yours one day.

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 83; dbt: 0.0975s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb