East Coast South to North


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
July 16th 2011
Published: July 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 16th July 2011 Cooktown to Hann River Roadhouse


I forgot to mention in yesterday’s blog that I’m now keeping this log for our splinter 2nd group of Peugeots as well as for myself. As Group 1 drove out on Bastille Day, Merrelyn asked me to do a little write-up of each day – I couldn’t say no! SO for those of you who are not Peugeotphiles, bear with me!
Although some of us thought that the track overland from Cooktown to Laura looked as if it might be fun, commonsense (and the lack of a 4WD) prevailed and we took Hank’s route back to Lakeland and onto the Peninsula Development Road. Many of the 4WDs on this road don’t give a toss about the other users – no slowing down or choosing a careful path. We already have 2 large “gunshot” holes in our windscreen from one such vehicle. A pleasant stop at Laura, then on to Hann River Roadhouse for lunch and a good afternoon of doing nothing much at all. The campsite at Hann River comes complete with a “chandelier of stars” open topped shower – unfortunately the walls were not very high so I didn’t try it! Also present are one big old emu, 3 peacocks, half a dozen guinea fowl and various other birds, and a family of Brahmin cattle. They were sitting sedately in the middle of the dusty road when we arrived, but during the night got up and helped themselves to some of Con’s food and three bottles of his red wine!! How did they get the screw tops off?



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The Owner of the FeatherThe Owner of the Feather
The Owner of the Feather

getting acquainted with Paul Playoust
The Red RocketThe Red Rocket
The Red Rocket

Note the sunroof, the rear wheel arch, and the aerated upholstery!


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb