Cairns to mmm..... Bali


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
December 24th 2010
Published: December 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi Guys,

HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR,

all the very best to our family and friends

We are now in Bali to celebrate Christmas and we will be on the Island of Lombok to see in the New Year!


NEW PLAN - Every cloud has a silver lining. After the nightmare in Oz, we are back in South East Asia where we love!!

The last piece of Australia. Our new friends Jen and Pete kindly chauffeured us to Cairns. We had a good few days in a chalet on a nice camp site in Cairns. The 4 of us had an interesting day trip to Kuranda ( Paddy's idea ) It was a scenic train ride OMG! Yawn, yawn, yawn!! There was no aircon or fans we were squashed together, the train went so slow it didn't even pick up a through draft. Not to mention at one of the steepest inclines it stopped with problems for about 5mins! To be fair the scenery was awesome when we got up high in the mountains and Kuranda was a nice small village ( very touristy ) The highlight for us was our first pint of Cider in 5 months, HEAVEN!!

In Cairns we searched The Net for some ideas of a new route for our travels. I stumbled upon a flight for Bali. Ideal back to South East Asia for the rest of our travels.

As expected the police report came back with not enough evidence to rule in our favour and typically the email conveniently showed up the day after we left Oz.
Our P.A. is on it ( Mam) to hopefully give the authority's some grief. We are under no illusion of recouping our loss but venting our anger may give us a little satisfaction.

Goodbye to Australia. We are not going to miss you. The rip off prices such as £3 a can of coke, £2 small bottle of water! The list could go on and on.

I think Paddy summed it up at the airport when leaving. The custom guy asked " Do you have $10.000 cash or more to declare" Paddy's reply " No but I left 10 grand in your Country"

Rather apt!!! Haha!!

As for not making it to Sydney to see the bridge. We have the original anyway!



Indonesia - Bali - Sanur

Where to start?

Back to happy smiling faces, the Balinese architecture is beautiful, the food gorgeous, the beers are cheap, our hotel is lovely with a nice pool, the weather is good! I think that covers most of it!

We were out on a day trip yesterday. It covered all sorts from a traditional Balinese dance, to visiting jewellery makers, ( Thanks for my Xmas Presents Paddy ) wood carving factory, rice fields, lunch was over looking the volcano and finally the monkey forest. It was a great day with our own guide from 9am - 6pm ( £30 for the day ) Today we have been to Kuta where the sun is blazing, lovely beach and loads of shops. A fantastic way to spend Christmas Eve!

Take Care, Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year

Love

Karen and Paddy


Hi everyone, Paddy here. I have not posted anything on our Blog before, but feel I must on this occasion to thank everyone for their kind emails and best wishes regarding the accident in Australia, and of course the guys, Pete and Jen for helping us
Kuranda, OzKuranda, OzKuranda, Oz

Pete n Jen
through the last week in Oz. I personally have been in more than my fair share of close calls but this one is up there, and how we got out of it with just a few cuts is beyond me. However, we did and are very happy to be back in SE Asia as we still have a lot of places to visit and boxes to tick.

Cheers all and have a fantastic Christmas and New Year as I know we will.











Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Kuranda, OzKuranda, Oz
Kuranda, Oz

Harmless but curls it's tail up like a Scorpion!
Sanur, BaliSanur, Bali
Sanur, Bali

Our hotel The Ari Putri
Sanur, BaliSanur, Bali
Sanur, Bali

Traditional Balinese dance
VolcanoVolcano
Volcano

Nice view for lunch, just a shame about the clouds!
Cup of teaCup of tea
Cup of tea

The worst cuppa ever. pad trying to catch me out tipping it in the nearest plant so as not to cause offence!


24th December 2010

Smiling again.
Great to see you's both smiling again and enjoying ya self's. P.s nice come back at custom's Paddy.
24th December 2010

Out of every adversity comes an equal or greater opportunity Not always easy to see that when the shit hits the fan Keep your chins up Guys, Have a great Xmas Andy
24th December 2010

Heya guys! good to see you both well! Merry xmas and New year! i send loads newcastle hugs! Have a great time and try not give us a shock in the new year pls hehe! Take care xxxx
25th December 2010

happy christmas
hiya happy christmas so glad you sound happier now. Hope you have a lovely time, its bloody freexing in uk. Even evesham was -16 the other night. Snow everywhere, but a white christmas for the first time i can remember. Thanks for postcard we are building up a lovely collection. Loads of love xxx

Tot: 0.45s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1815s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb