Bowen, Ayr and Townsville,


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Bowen
December 14th 2010
Published: December 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Paradise at Bowen!Paradise at Bowen!Paradise at Bowen!

This was gonna be your xmas card Mam n dad!!
Hi Guys,

It's never dull with The Patterson's




How to go from this picture of beauty and serenity

....



....



....


....



Well it goes something like this...

After 2 brilliant days in Bowen the view from our camper picture perfect. Blazing sunshine, fishing from the rocks, beautiful clear waters, totally gorgeous! The 3rd night was a different story blowing a gale, thunder and lightening and needless to say lashing down. Thankfully we know the leakage hot spots so at 3am we are strategically placing pots and pans to catch the drips. Storms don't normally worry me but we have been listening to the local news and there is cyclone warnings!


The following day we go to Ayr and try to seek a bit more shelter! It also breaks the journey to Townsville.


Ayr to Townsville 85kms

Easy drive a nice short one, no such luck!

About 40 kms into the leisurely drive we were approaching one of many narrow creeks. As I look up I see a waring patrol vehicle with the wide load right up it's backside, which in turn gave us no WARNING no TIME no CHANCE! Already on the bridge with no where to go all we could see was this wide load covering our side of the road and his.. Slow motion, the deafing noise as the side got torn off Little Miss Sunshine, the explosion of glass which Paddy got showered in. To be honest I was scared to look to see if he was still with me. Thankfully Mr. 9 lives was, thank God!

Happy to be alive!

Before we left home on this journey between the two of us we have 6 St.Christophers, they were doing there job on this day I can tell you!

Now a couple of things as we got out the camper, after the big hugs and me shaking like a leaf. I kept having to squash Paddy just to check he was still with us!!

1, How a number of cars carried on driving by without stopping to see if we were ok, how could they????

2. How the wideload that wiped us out took an eternity to come and see if we were ok. I think they were to busy cooking a story up before the police arrived. We have been told the official distance between patrol car and wide load should be 1-2 kms and all they gave us was a few metres!!

3. How the paramedic arrived and really had no treatment for Paddy he was covered in glass splinters!

4. How we were left in the blazing sunshine ( 35 degrees ) no protection or shade. We couldn't use our clothes they were covered in glass. About 2 hours!

The upside a few cars did stop and offered us drinks and reassurance.

What we are most thankful for is our new friends Pete and Jen.

Whilst we waited for police, fire rescue and paramedics our new friends or should I say guardian angels! pulled up ( sorry for the shock we gave ya's )

Pete and Jen loaded their camper with all our gear. After we got sorted with with officials, they drove us to Townsville. We booked a chalet on the campsite.

Now the next awesome offer from the guys to drive us to Cairns. We had just talked the night before how making it to Cairns was a huge goal for us.


THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!


The paper shuffling stuff, Little Miss Sunshine was only covered 3rd party fire and theft. We are now waiting for the police report to come back. Personally I am not confident in justice prevailing as it's our word againt their's. Us being the tourists and them being huge haulage company. Worst case scenario - we lose a huge chunk of our money and our dream of New Zealand and South America lies in tatters!

The upside we are both fine!!!


Next destination at this point unknown.


"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" — Albert Einstein ...




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Awesome sunsetAwesome sunset
Awesome sunset

View from our campervan
Our Guardian AngelsOur Guardian Angels
Our Guardian Angels

Pete and Jen We can't thank you enough!!


15th December 2010

Lady Luck
Hi Guys, Lady (Lil Miss Sunshine) Luck must have been looking down on you, for fugz sake stay safe.. Kat
15th December 2010

I felt so ill when I first saw them pictures! You guys were so lucky. I hope you get your money back, so it doesnt' ruin your chances of carrying on. But most of all just glad your both ok, thats the main thing! xxxx
15th December 2010

OMG! Thank god you are both ok. We camped beside you at Bowen in the 5th wheeler. That is absolutely terrible you are both so lucky. The company is absolutely at fault. Hopefully the paperwork comes out in your favour. We have learnt by near experience to get off the road but like you said they gave you no warning that is so wrong. We had a little bit of bad luck yesterday we are camped on friends property back where we live in Jimboomba and got hit by a BAD storm they are describing it as a mini tornado. The awning got ripped off it hinges we stood holding it down for 10mins being hit by hail in ankle deep water, water thru the light fittings I got an electric shock off the trailer scariest day ever. Now putting thru an insurance claim. Hey we wish you both the best. Anton & Cherrie Salentijn
15th December 2010

Rich
Its a pity Rich isn't over there with you, a couple of Elastoplasts & he'd have got that back on the road!
16th December 2010

Relived.
Never a dull moment with the Patterson's is it,you's should have your own fly on the wall T.V series. Cant express how much that we r glad that you's r OK.
16th December 2010

Im in complete shock and worry guys!! feel ill just looking at the pics. glad you both well given the circumstances thats the main thing!! Thankyou to your new friends who helped you both! Take care you two xxxxxxxx
17th December 2010

Bowen fun and games!
Hi Guys, Thanks for all your kind comments. We are fine and getting back on track. Enjoying the sun in Cairns! xxx
17th December 2010

oops
Glad you ok and hope you can find some way of getting back on track.Stand your ground with the pen pushers and dont take no for an answer! Wouldnt be an adventure without stuff like this to look back on, good luck and keep going!

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb