Moreton and Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
November 26th 2008
Published: November 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Moreton IslandMoreton IslandMoreton Island

The middle one was ours. Very nice house, about 6 bedrooms and lots of space (and a pool table).

Moreton Island.

(Beware: Pictures are a little mixed up.)

The weekend of the 14th a bunch of work people and I went to Moreton Island and rented a nice big house for all of us. The weather was nice and we left early on Friday morning to catch the ferry over to Moreton.

The island is quite beautiful but we didn’t do anything too exciting. Instead we just hung out at the beach, did some snorkelling along some artificially sunk ships and enjoyed the calm water. The nights consisted of nice BBQs, some drinks, guitar playing and cheesy sing-alongs. All in all a great weekend!

Coming back on the ferry on Sunday we had a big storm, which ended up pushing Brisbane into a 'disaster zone'. However the ferry ride wasn’t too bad; we had to stop moving for a while but then kept going. (And luckily our house was still standing as well.)







Fraser Island.



Last weekend M. went to Melbourne and I decided to head off to Fraser Island and do a 3-day camping tour. (Fraser is supposed to be the most beautiful island around here and the
Moreton IslandMoreton IslandMoreton Island

Watching the sunset.
biggest sand island as well - apparently it contains more sand then the Sahara Dessert.) The tour guide picked us up in Brisbane (all in all about 10 people) and we started the journey. All travel companions + tour guide were very nice and I had a great time… Fraser Island must be the most beautiful spot I’ve ever seen (so far)! Here a short travel diary:

Day 1.
Main part of the day was the actual drive + ferry ride to the island. However, once we arrived we headed straight to Lake McKenzie and went for a swim. The water there is very clear and calm, there’s white beaches and rainforest all around it. Apparently the most beautiful lake on the island but after seeing Lake Wobby on Sunday I would have to disagree.
The evening started off with a BBQ, some relaxed sitting around the camp fire and ended with a nice moon-light-swim in the nearby creek.

Day 2.
Unfortunately Saturday was quite cloudy. After having gone to Indian Head to see some sea turtles (somebody even saw a shark but I missed it) and to try and photograph them (it didn’t work) we went to
Moreton IslandMoreton IslandMoreton Island

The entire beach was full of starfish.
another lake, a quick hike through the rainforest, and to a creek called Eli Creek where you can actually walk up the creek, then lie on your back, and float all the way down to the ocean. It was cold, but amazing. That night, two other groups joined us for some cooking + camp fire and played some guitar + sang. Most of the other campers were Swiss or Austrian and apparently hadn't learned to cope with the Australian drinking habits just yet. One of them got drunk, stood up in the open back of a truck, fell down, broke his hip and had to be transported off by a helicopter. I didn’t witness any of it, I was asleep.

Day 3.
We got up at 4 am to watch the sunrise. It was a little bit cloudy, but still very nice. Later that day we went for a 2 km walk first through the rainforest, then to a small sand desert and arrived at the beautiful Lake Wabby. It is surrounded by sand dunes on one side, and by forest on the other. The water is green in colour and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything more beautiful. This would be my dream-home. I’d go swimming every morning, catch a few dingos for dinner, drink the clear water and never leave that island again.
The ride back home wasn’t too exciting; we stopped on the way back and fed some cute little lorikeets and some cockatoos which kept saying “Hello cookie, yes, that’s great.”

Later that night I got lost in Brisbane trying to find my way back home. It was frustrating and my backpack was heavy and in the end I just walked most of the way and then, as I didn’t know my way any further, took a cab for the last few meters.


Hope you enjoy the pictures!


Cheers, L.



Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Fraser IslandFraser Island
Fraser Island

Our 4WD upon catching the ferry to Fraser.
Fraser IslandFraser Island
Fraser Island

Driving along the beach...
Fraser IslandFraser Island
Fraser Island

Beautiful Lake McKenzie and I.
Fraser IslandFraser Island
Fraser Island

Lake McKenzie.
Fraser IslandFraser Island
Fraser Island

Lake McKenzie.
Fraser IslandFraser Island
Fraser Island

The famous shipwreck of the S.S. Maheno.
Fraser IslandFraser Island
Fraser Island

Rainforest...
Fraser IslandFraser Island
Fraser Island

The Champagne Falls. Water comes in from the ocean but the stone walls protect the area from sharks and other animals.
Fraser IslandFraser Island
Fraser Island

On top of Indian Head, spotting sea turtles.


15th December 2008

Dingo ate my baby
Fluffy and I want to get your dingo recipe. mmm delicious dingo. We miss you!! Beautiful pictures my darling fab.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb