The Heart of the Channel Country- Barcoo Shire S/W QLD


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Windorah
September 9th 2013
Published: September 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Barcoo Shire

Stonehenge to Jundah to Windorah

Aerial View of Channel CountryAerial View of Channel CountryAerial View of Channel Country

The area is so flat, the channels meander towards the Thomson River from the North, the Barcoo River from the East, merging into Cooper's Creek.
It's certainly another world out here in South Western QLD. The Barcoo Shire is approximately the size of Tasmania and only has 3 towns, Stonehenge, Jundah and Windorah. These 3 towns have a general store, a pub, a school (where only 6 or 7 children attend) an information centre, come library and a police station. The entire Shire's population is 452. The area has a mosaic of channels that flow on to Lake Eyre during wet season. It is extremely difficult for us to imagine it flooding while we view the parched land. This country is of extremes. The people are up beat and friendly, ever so willing to help the tourist. They are excited to see new people and love you to stay and use their facilities.


Additional photos below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Channel Country in FloodChannel Country in Flood
Channel Country in Flood

The water moves very slowly on to Lake Eyre because there is only a 3 cm drop per km in most places.
Narrow Bitumen and RoadtrainsNarrow Bitumen and Roadtrains
Narrow Bitumen and Roadtrains

One lane bitumen links the 3 towns which is easier on our van but we often have to give way to 3 and 4 carriage road trains.
Morning TeaMorning Tea
Morning Tea

Short stops are just on the side of the road and we feel pretty lucky if we find a tree.
StockStock
Stock

The properties are unfenced and we have to watch for cattle, sheep, horses and wild life.
StonehengeStonehenge
Stonehenge

151 kms from Longreach is Stonehenge on the plains of red gibbers. Visitors sign their names beside the road and it has been a tradition for years. Dave refused to get out of the car here. He felt the 3 locals had 6 fingers and he may lose a kidney and never return to civilisation, hence we continued along the road.
Swanvale Jump UpSwanvale Jump Up
Swanvale Jump Up

A Jump Up is land that has not been eroded and giving character to the flat horizon.
Red Boulder CountryRed Boulder Country
Red Boulder Country

Rocky outcrops with spinifex and mulga bush.
Native WellNative Well
Native Well

The aboriginals carved waterholes to create natural wells.
Jundah WelcomeJundah Welcome
Jundah Welcome

These signs replicate the historic shop front in the main street.
Jundah General StoreJundah General Store
Jundah General Store

This is still the original store. No fresh vegetables. A few tins and frozen bits. Glad we stocked up at Longreach.
Closest Supermarket LongreachClosest Supermarket Longreach
Closest Supermarket Longreach

215 km to a small IGA at Longreach or 300 km to a small Foodworks at Quilpie.
Our CampOur Camp
Our Camp

Camped by the Thomson River.
Nature TrackNature Track
Nature Track

Plenty of places to walk along the nature track.
Community SpiritCommunity Spirit
Community Spirit

With only 50 people in the town community spirit is very strong. These locals are out planting plaques for the nature track.
Right Angle Tree RootsRight Angle Tree Roots
Right Angle Tree Roots

Amazing root systems on the trees by the river.
Red Gibber PlainsRed Gibber Plains
Red Gibber Plains

Rich in colour and texture.
Lil is doing fineLil is doing fine
Lil is doing fine

She doesn't mind an air conditioned road trip.


Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1097s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb