Quilpie Moments & Charleville Capers


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Charleville
September 12th 2013
Published: September 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Windorah, Quilpie, Charleville

Headed South East 300km to Quilpie and stayed 4 nights, then East 220km to Charleville for 4 nights.

	Sunrise from Camp 	Sunrise from Camp Sunrise from Camp

We camped at Lake Houdraman, just out of town. Extremely dry, dusty and hot with untold insects but beautiful sunrise and sunsets. It pays to focus on the positives. I’ve enjoyed the tracks for walking and bike riding, as long as I’ve done it before the heat.
Quilpie was a much larger town than we’ve been in recently with a population of 650. Quilpie comes from an aboriginal word for Curlew. We were excited to find a supermarket but unfortunately the limited fresh produce still tastes like cardboard. I’m not sure how they’ve perfected cardboard flavoured meat, vegetables and water but they have done it well in the Channel Country.

Although this place has lovely moments, generally I’m fed up with dust up my nose, in my ears and grit on everything. I never really feel clean and I’m annoyed with the heat and insects.

We had a spot of rain to settle the dust and being worried about being stuck in the mud out on the lake tracks we decided to head off to Charleville to a caravan park. It was delightful to arrive in the rain. Such a lovely freshness in the air we’d been missing for so long. It didn’t last long but between the rain and cold water taps that run at above body temperature I did manage to feel clean again. Also the other good news is, we found a fresh produce market stall in Charleville, so the taste buds
	Quaint Art	Quaint Art Quaint Art

The town’s primary industry is sheep and cattle and I loved their arty sculptures in the main street.
have now been pacified.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

	Historical Mural	Historical Mural
Historical Mural

Also this 45 metre street mural depicts the town’s history. 1907 Post Office & Cob and Co., the sinking of bores in 1933, Amy Johnson’s Landing, the Hotel in 1900.
	Amy Johnson	Amy Johnson
Amy Johnson

Amy Johnson was the first British woman to have commercial, private and navigator licence and in 1930 decided to fly from England to Australia. She accidentally landed in Quilpie thinking it was Charleville as her map was wrong. This was very exciting for the locals.
	Opal Altar  	Opal Altar
Opal Altar

Quilpie is known for its Boulder Opal and to compliment this mining background, a local miner donated the wall of opal to be mounted in the Catholic Church in 1976.
	End of the Line 	End of the Line
End of the Line

In 1917 the railway was opened to carry passengers, wool, sheep and cattle from Quilpie to Charleville. The line ended here and was never continued due to war scarcities.
	Baldy Top 	Baldy Top
Baldy Top

A pleasant afternoon walk up to Baldy Top.
Quilpie Show Quilpie Show
Quilpie Show

We were lucky to be in the area when the show and rodeo were on.
Rodeo Rodeo
Rodeo

This was the highlight. It wasn’t a full rodeo, only bull rides. We were simply amazed at the skill and craziness of the riders and clowns.
Back at Camp Back at Camp
Back at Camp

The vegetation in the lake was fabulous for the animals.


27th September 2013
Nature’s Sculpture

Lovely and dramatic
Great photo

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0952s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb