Whitsunday Islands


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
March 11th 2010
Published: March 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

If only everyone had a chance to view the Great Barrier Reef from the spectacular seat of a helicopter…words provide only stumbling limitations of ways to try and describe the beauty and splendor of such an image. But I’m getting ahead of myself. Let’s start at the beginning...

Rain had been pouring down for a few days in and around Brisbane (and the whole of Queensland for that matter) before Shawn and I left on our 5-day trip to the Whitsunday Islands. We were ready for a nice little “holiday” on our current holiday and I think we were each equally looking forward to our trip. Photographs of the Whitsunday Islands are amazing and I really did not want to be disappointed - what I did not expect was to be exceptionally stunned. Upon our arrival we were greeted with sights, sounds and smells that commence immediate vacation-mode including a beautiful sunny day, crystal-clear blue-green water, white sand, tropical birdcalls and the smell of frangipani and ocean.

Hamilton Island is home to the majority of travelers in the Whitsunday Islands and I was pleased to see that only golf carts “buggies” are allowed to drive on the Island (minus
Giant clamGiant clamGiant clam

Where's my pearl?
a few work trucks and the handful of shuttle buses that cruise their designated loops around the island). Hamilton is also home to the Reef View Hotel - our lovely vacation destination. First stop…tropical drink and a walk on the beach (first on our “to-do” list…tropical drink at the swim up bar).

Our first full day in the Whitsunday’s was marked by our trip to the Great Barrier Reef. Shawn and I boarded a high-speed catamaran for the 2-hour boat ride out to the reef (Shawn took some ginger tablets and did not get sea-sick…yay!). We docked next to a large pontoon (which has been in its current location for ~20 years and is now home to the sea life from the reef). We obtained our snorkeling gear, climbed into our very flattering and sexy “stinger-suits” (which we were required to wear as it is currently Irukandji jellyfish season in Queensland and a sting from those little babies will cause you some serious pain and suffering - can you tell we were already feeling great about this trip?!?!). Anyway, hopped into our suits and jumped (ungracefully) into the water for a tour of the reef. Needless to say, the water was high and the current was more than strong which makes for a difficult and exhausting snorkel. What I can say is that the reef is amazing, full of millions of creatures which I didn’t see nearly enough of (due to the conditions and limited time available). But on to our biggest adventure…

The tour guides mentioned helicopter rides were available for those who wished to see the reef from up high and even an opportunity to fly back to Hamilton Island via helicopter when the day was over. Shawn jumped at the chance to do so (anything to get him off a boat) but quickly found out the catastrophically high price for such a ride was not likely an option for us. However, someone was smiling on us that day and after our snorkel the helicopter guide mentioned that there were still two available seats for the flight back to Hamilton Island (and they would be willing to make us a “deal” if we were interested). So…minus the details - Shawn did some wheeling and dealing and snagged us two seats for the 30-minute flight back to Hamilton Island over the Great Barrier Reef. As I mentioned previously - there are no words - so I am including some photos of our journey. The reef is magnificent! It is enormous and stunning and not only one of the highlights of our trip to Australia but one of the highlights of amazing things I have seen in my life.

Next we decided to do a little more snorkeling (after our slightly difficult experience at the reef) as well as spend some time on Whitehaven beach (rated one of the top 10 beaches in the world) and one of - if not the - whitest sand beach on earth. (We viewed Whitehaven from the helicopter and just knew we had to put our toes in that sand!). Snorkeling at Chalkie beach on Haslewood Island was lovely - calm waters with fish everywhere. A sea turtle was just leaving the area as we were entering it (figures…but I can’t blame him). This was my kind of snorkeling…easy and relaxing and fun. Whitehaven beach was everything I imagined, the whitest sand which felt like silk between my toes and I was in heaven just laying in the sun reading my book (Shawn was more than slightly disappointed however that we were not dropped off on the other end of the island where the inlet runs…the one which creates the beautiful swirl patterns with the sand and water…just another reason we’ll have to return someday!)

The rest of our time was spent hiking to secluded beaches, swimming (and enjoying the swim up bar), lounging, reading, sunbathing and eating. The food - delicious. The weather - delightfully sunny and hot. Swimming, lounging, reading and sunbathing - definitely relaxing…I finished 2 books and we both got a tan. All in all the Whitsundays were fantastic, lovelier than I ever expected. The photos do it more justice that I can.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Heart ReefHeart Reef
Heart Reef

Most photographed reef in the world!


11th March 2010

Great fun!
You're making me jealous! Great pictures and narrative! paula

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb