Wheekdays in the Whitsundays


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
July 3rd 2009
Published: July 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hamilton Island AirportHamilton Island AirportHamilton Island Airport

The smallest airport we've been to, apart from Paros maybe. Certainly one of the prettiest.
Ok, we don’t want to leave Australia.

We flew out Monday morning for Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays, where we stayed until today (Friday). Accommodation: beautiful. Weather: perfect. Activities: sooooooo much fun! Food: pretty good.

We’ve heard many of our Aussie friends talk about the Whitsundays and when I asked Son what her favourite place in Oz was when she was here years ago and she also said the Whitsundays, I know we had to book to come.

Trusty old Tripadvisor helped us pick our hotel of choice in Airlie Beach: Sea Star Apartments. Just look at our pictures of the view. And everything else about it was great too. We did manage to have a couple of failed meals in Airlie Beach (it’s a backpacker’s town, quite small and therefore choice was limited). One night we went to the “nicest” restaurant in town and it was alright, but I did get a bit ill later on so we decided to do more meals in our apartment. Eating on our balcony was not a hardship at all.

We did excursions on 2 of the 3 full days we had: “ocean rafting” and “2 island explorer”. The ocean rafting was by far our favourite! Got to snorkel twice, have lunch on Whitehaven beach and I saw a whale and a pod of dolphins!! Poor Shaney didn’t get to see them as he was at the back of the boat at that time but he’s not too bent out of shape because on our second excursion to Daydream and Long Islands, we saw wallabies! And you’ll also notice from our pictures that we had many cockatoo visitors to our balcony. That’s another one for exotic bird bingo! (If you get that reference, I love you.) We love the different wildlife here.

In a nutshell, we would have loved a few more days around the Whitsundays so it just means we’ll have to come back again. We would spend more time on Whitehaven beach and probably rent a boat to meander around in. I’m adding lots of pics to this blog as it’s just too beautiful for words.

(Please no comments on the witty title of this blog, I was desperate. Or should I say whitty?)


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Breakfast our first morning thereBreakfast our first morning there
Breakfast our first morning there

Shaney's yummy omelette!
Airlie LagoonAirlie Lagoon
Airlie Lagoon

We were by far the oldest people there. This is in the morning before the backpackers wake up and take over in the afternoon. :o)
Sunset from Sailing ClubSunset from Sailing Club
Sunset from Sailing Club

We went to the Sailing Club for dinner this night.
Pool at our hotelPool at our hotel
Pool at our hotel

Funny enough, we never used it.
Scuba DivingScuba Diving
Scuba Diving

Shaney's in there somewhere
Gorgeous dayGorgeous day
Gorgeous day

Water was very calm and everything was reflected in the water
First view of Whitehaven BeachFirst view of Whitehaven Beach
First view of Whitehaven Beach

This is the beach on all the postcards. One of the world's 10 best beaches. Shane polished his ring in the sand...
Hill InletHill Inlet
Hill Inlet

This is the 4th most popular photograph in all of Australia. Can you think of the first 3?
On Daydream IslandOn Daydream Island
On Daydream Island

Resort has a big pond for all kinds of fish, rays and even a couple of sharks
On Long IslandOn Long Island
On Long Island

The second island we went to on our 2 island excursion


6th July 2009

Incredible
Wow! I had to look up the Whitsunday Islands, but I can see why you went there. Pictures are incredible!
10th July 2009

Lucky you!
Whitsundays is an amazing place! I got to go last January, it was so beautiful! and you are there at the right time: I had rain and box jelly fish, you get to see dolphins and a whale, wow! (Back in the UK now, would have come to see you if.... :-( oh well, Canada it will be then!)

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb