Sailing Day 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
March 13th 2007
Published: March 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello again,

well, since we are in the tropics, and it therefore gets dark around 6:30p.m, and the sun rises at 5:30 am, we were all up and about on the boat when the call for breakfast came at 7 am. After breakfast, we headed to the most beautiful beach i have ever seen. The Whiteheaven Beach on the Whitsunday Island! Shane took us in small groups to the beach in the dingy, and after getting outfitted with our stingersuits, we were well equipped to not just look at the beautiful water, but also jump into it. However, before we got to the tempting water, we had to go for a bit of a bushwalk up the hill to the lookout from where we had the most amazing view of the beaches, the water and the islands. As Shane said, this view puts the W and W in WOW!!! Breathtaking . This place truly looks like all the postcards you can buy around town! Actually it's even better than the postcards!!!
So after marvelling at the water below, we trekked down to the beach (btw, we were the only ones there!!!) put on the stingersuits, and headed into the water! After a nice refreshing swim, i ended up walking around the beach a bit, took loads of pictures and just took in the scenery, the remoteness, the serenity and untouched beauty!

After our time on the beach was up, and frankly, by 10:30 am, it got so hot, that we actually wanted to get back on the boat, we headed to our first snorkling spot for the day! (oh, i forgot, the sand btw does not get hot at all, it actually seems rather cool. It's so fine, that you can clean your silver jewlery in the mud, and this sand from this beach was used to make the Hubble Telescope, because it is the finest and purest sand found on this planet, how is that for trivia!)

Anyway, back to snorkling.... since the Whitsundays are already part of the Great Barrier Reef, i actually fulfilled one of my dreams before i ever got to Cairns, and that was swimming and checking out the fish and corral of the GBR. I have never seen so many colorful fish, in all shapes, sizes, and colors, not to speak of the corral and its froms and colors! This
Water ripplesWater ripplesWater ripples

Kodak moments everywhere
is straight out of a National Geographic Documentary!!! Amazing. Needless to say that we did not want to get out of the water, but we nevertheless did, and went on to our next spot and night-time anchoring cove! Some more fish, more beauty, another great dinner, lots of fun on the boat (celebrating one swedish girls birthday (she lives in NZ, and here parents came to meet her here for her birthday...not bad, eh? ),watching the sunset, gazing at stars, sleeping on deck... you get the picture...

so, i will leave the rest to your imagination...


SL


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.33s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.2562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb