More Queensland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Sunshine Coast
June 15th 2012
Published: June 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The weather has fined up and we are now enjoying balmy days and mild nights. No rain for three days which has been wonderful. We have had a visit from a pelican who is trying to join the feeding line.

Monday was a public holiday. Barbara and I did some housework and Rob and Graham played with some boy things in the garage, our car etc. The end result of this is we are now looking for a new boy toy. Something called a rattle gun and it has to be the specific brand which Robert has because it fits the very tight area around the wheel nuts of our car. In the afternoon we went off searching for a specific strawberry farm which also sells orchids. No success. There are fields of strawberries all around when you get over onto the mainland.

Tuesday and Wednesday we spent quietly at home, Robert had to work so we did mundane things like washing and lots of reading.

One thing I did learn early on Monday is that Limpy is an actor. When he lands he has no limp, but it rapidly develops when he sees a human who may feed him. On Wednesday he managed to con all 4 of us at different times of the day.

Thursday we went for a long run to show us how to get down the M1 and through to Ipswich which is the way we plan to go when we leave here on Sunday. We have looked at lots of routes and the way we have planned means the least pull up huge hills towing the van.

When we stopped for coffee Barbara picked up an unused Lady GaGa ticket from the ground. It cost $159!! what a careless and probably disappointed fan.

We were planning to go to Mount Tamborine, but because we lingered all over the place near Ipswich were did not make it. Next time. We explored a lovely little town called Marburg where we found a couple of antique shops. Lots of junk, but the good pieces were good and very expensive. Our leadlight kitchenettes would be worth $2000 + at this guys prices. One thing I could have bought is a replacement base for the Jardinere which Barbara took a hammer to when she was little at a mere $150 for an incomplete item. He advertised himself as a "restorer" and if he had restored the items in the shop he needed lessons. I wonder what you buy at a "Casket shop". Some of the electric wiring was interesting in Marburg.

We lunched on the verandah of the hotel. Whilst sitting there we counted 14 caravans go down a side street towards the caravan park. We decided it must be something special so after lunch headed off to have a look. We discovered that it was at the showground and there was an honor box and the place had a lot of vans in place. More and more people are "free camping" because of the sheer cost of staying in caravan parks.

We wandered around all over the place before returning back to Bribie. It was a lovely day and we saw some of the wonderful country side.

Friday Robert had to work in the moning to complete a presentation to some company which will be presented on Monday. We sat in the sun and read and watched the boats go buy selecting the ones which we figure Robert needs to buy. The then Great Grandfather of all came past. It was HUGE. Apparently it belongs to a fellow who sold his business out to a corporation (no not Dick Smith) and this boat has three decks, and they live on it for weeks at a time. Very impressive.

When he got home we tried for the strawberry farm again, Success this time. The strawberries were enormous and tasty especially with the chocolate dipping sauce. The orchids are lovely and Barbara bought one and we bought one for her. They also sold home made strawberry icecream. It was delicious, more like a sorbet than an icecream. We sat in the sun and ate it.

On the way back to Bribie Rob got some more bait to indulge me and at high tide he and I ajourned to the pontoon to fish. One thing I have forgotton to mention previously is that we have kept trying for crabs and we know we had at least one more and when we went to retrieve it in the morning it was gone. Apparently one of the great activities is to steal crabs out of peoples crab pots. I should wander down and see if there are any crabs in the pot.

Robert caught a nice sized golden trevally which we will have done on the BBQ Saturday. I kept getting my bait stolen.

A person just glided past in a canoe.

Our book Camps 6 is invaluable. We use it to plan where we may stay overnight and have a couple of alternatives available. When we leave here we will need to travel over 400 kms before we can find the first such camp.

As I mentioned we are heading out on Sunday to head down the centre of NSW towards Bathurst where we will spend next weekend staying with friends. They are picking up their brand new Cub Supermatic Drover camper on Wednesday. My suggestion that we could camp out in their paddocks was howled down as being "too far from the wine cellar". Seems reasonable.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



15th June 2012

Uh Oh! I'm in trouble
Now my Son & 2 Grandsons know my secret about the Lady Gaga Concert. I was only paying them back for their colored language quip which took 3 days for me to work out thanks to Christine, but then - I'm a lady !!!!!!!
16th June 2012

Retirement
Sounds like you guys are having a great time, you will have to write a book about your adventures. Take care
16th June 2012

re pix
photos are great and you write a very informative letter

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb