Frosty Morning etc


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Eastern Creek
June 19th 2012
Published: June 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We visited the Glasshouse Mountains and saw some of the spectacular scenery there. It is a very short drive from where Barbara and Rob live. After a nice time there we headed off back to Bribie stopping for a pie and coffee and I experienced a pie with mushy peas inside as well as the meat. Interesting.

Once back a bribie we set about moving our possessions back into the van to head off the next morning followed by the serious task of getting our dinner ready. Our Crabs which had been in the freezer into the pot for entree, followed by Robbies fish and salad and strawberries, icecream and chocolate sauce for dessert! Graham had hamburgers. Rob assisted Graham setting up an account to pay the tolls on the chosen roads over the internet.

We managed to leave at 9am which was Graham's liftoff time. With warnings about keeping left to go over the toll bridge we set off down the highway and followed the GPS instructions to the letter which ordered us to keep right at the toll road turn off. We were too late to correct and follow Robs advice and ended up in the middle of Brisbane on our way to Ipswich via the route selected by the GPS - our absolute worse nightmare. We finally emerged into countryside again breathed a sigh of relief and headed up over the range. What is most interesting was that we did not cross any toll roads. Why you ask. After much debate it was suddenly realised it was because when we set up the GPS before starting the trip from Brinkworth we said to avoid toll roads because we didn't want to get into the middle of Brisbane! Huh that worked didn't it. Then suddenly Hims behind the wheel informed me it was my fault because I wanted to avoid Brisbane. He only lives because he was driving up a steep, winding incline at the time.

We pulled over early at Bluff Rocks rest area south of Tenterfield for the night discretely into one corner. A couple of hours later two more sets of travellers turned up and parked right next door. Herding instinct is obviously still very strong after milleniums of evolution. It was a cold night and we had a light frost when we woke up. We liked the look of Tenterfield, it sprawls over the valley and hills with wide streets, bustling business area and obviously proud to be the birthplace of Peter Allen from the street decorations we saw.

Next day we moved only 80 kms south to Glen Innes. We are parked in a very nice rest area called Beardy Creek rest area 7kms north of the town. We are too bone idle to drive into the town to buy bread or even sight see. This part of the trip has turned into a total laze. We are supposed to have seen some things along the way and have sorted through the cupboards to get things into the most convenient places. What have we done. Read and watched some DVD's.

It was very cold last night. After spending the afternoon reading in the sun in short sleeves it suddently got cold about 4pm. Then at 6pm it was very cold. By 8pm it was darn cold and we could see the outline of the structure of the caravan on the inside walls because of the wood and insulation cooling at different rates and moisture freezing on it. We retreated to bed because there we would be warm. When we were forced out of bed at 3am to go to the loo it was freezing and the walk across the grass was crunchy. At 6.30 am when we finally got up it was Frigid. The radio informed us it was -6.3c. I have included some photos of both the interior and exterior. By 9:30 am we were back outside reading in the sun. The whole van was open to allow the accumulated moisture to evaporate. Tonight we will use the generator to run the heater to warm the van before we go to bed. One task we undertook very early this morning was to break out our second sleeping bag and place that onto the bed as well for more warmth.

We plan to stay here a couple more nights because the area is go pleasant and head off towards Dave and Shirleys on Thursday aiming to get there on Friday.

Hopefully it will not be quite so cold tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



19th June 2012

G'day
Your trip sounds great and I am loving your photos, particularly the "Banksia Glasshouse Mountains" Are you using your phone for these? Enjoy yourselves and stay safe and warm. I must say I didn't really envy those very frosty, invasive mornings.
19th June 2012

not going south
you have certainly made a decision for me....not going south in winter. The photos are A1 as is the writing. Keep the reports coming. Beautiful warm sunny days here & no wind. By the way 'Thanks for the gift you left me', Vicks,Panadol & Tissues are my constant companions & so far not really helping, The Orchid is beautiful but the Flu is not. Keep traveling safe. Hello to Shirley & Dave.
19th June 2012

Camera vs phone
I have been using my camera mostly Carol. It is a Panasocia Lumix DMC-TZ15. A gift from Graham a couple of years ago. I still find I move the phone too much, though I have managed a couple of good photos from there. Cheers, ChrisB
20th June 2012

More underwear!
Sheez - you weren't kidding about the frost INSIDE the caravan. Have you found the sheepskin undies? Great photos Chris - especially the fresh seafood, torture for those of us living hours away from the ocean.
22nd June 2012

Frosty Blog
Hi there, up to date with the blogs thanks, jeepers we thought it had been cold at night here, not even close, photos are great. Happy travels :)
22nd June 2012

GPS
Love the comments about the GPS I'm having a good old laugh, keep the stories coming
8th July 2012

hello!
Hi! I have finally got round to reading up on your blogs & got to this, entry June 19th & splitting my sides with laughter! Sounds very entertaining. Anyway, must keeping reading. What a great way to keep a diary & everyone informed about your journey. xxxxxx

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb