Somewhere Over The Rainbow


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Rainbow Beach
July 19th 2008
Published: August 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

19th July - Jumping Sunset



We got up early this morning to catch the Greyhound to Rainbow Beach. While waiting for our luggage to be unloaded, we saw Hannah (from Myella) !! So we stayed and chatted for a while until she got on her bus. Our hostel, 'Pippies' wasn't far from the Bus Stop at all. It is such a cool hostel. There are hammocks, a nice pool, the kitchin is clean, and they even have free BBQs every wednesday! We did our washing (finally!!), had lunch, then did the 30 minute walk up the hill to Carlos Sandblow to watch the sunset. It was incredible! The photos do not do it justice. The sand felt so cold but the sun was beaming down on us, casting huge shadows! People were sand tobogganing down one side.. we took photos of us jumping infront of the sunset because it was something we had read about doing back at the hostel..

20th July - Dolphin Feeding!



We got a cruise to Tin Can Bay. Where we had the opportunity to feed Wild Dolphins. They couldn't guarantee us that any will show up, but we took
Carlos SandblowCarlos SandblowCarlos Sandblow

Look at our shadows!
the risk and it paid of when two dolphins (Harmony and Mystique) showed up! We queued up to recieve a bucket containing a small fish then were taken into the water (10 at a time) to hand feed the two dolphins. They were really shy! It took them a while to swim up to us to take the fish, especially Harmony (the baby dolphin). It was really surreal, I had not even seen dolphins in the wild, yet alone feed them!! We dashed to the toilets to wash our hands and happened to be near the woman who handed out the fish when she relised that there were extra fish left. So... we were given two more fish each, and then went back into the water to feed them. How lucky are we!! We walked around Tin Can Bay (it was very small), had hot dogs (which were actually a piece of bread and sausage, cheeky!) and nearly missed the boat going home. We walked into the town of Rainbow Beach and climbed the white sandy cliffs, then were back in time for our Fraser Island meeting at 2pm at the hostel.
We watched two videos, about safety, camping, etc..
Amy..Amy..Amy..

..and the fantastic view on the other side of the sandblow
on Fraser Island. We got put into our groups. There were 9 people in ours, 10 in the other group. And we had to write a shopping list for our three day trip between us, then were given 180 bucks to buy the stuff! It was really hard estimating how much food 9 people would need for three days. The boys made sure they were in good supply of goon.


Amy x


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Lucy..Lucy..
Lucy..

..and the fantastic view on the other side of the sandblow
Pelicans..Pelicans..
Pelicans..

..just for Becca's kids! :)
Amy..Amy..
Amy..

..feeding the dolphins
Lucy..Lucy..
Lucy..

..feeding Mystique
Fancy a fish?Fancy a fish?
Fancy a fish?

Mm fish supper! :)


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb