4 days with Paul, Mel and Maddie the Dog in Mossman!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
January 21st 2007
Published: March 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We're gonna do this!We're gonna do this!We're gonna do this!

Paul and Nic about to dive the Great Barrier Reef ...
As we got up to catch our early am flight from Darwin, the scantily glad clubbers were spilling out into the road... makes you feel old hey!! We arrived in Cairns at 8am and made our way to Port Douglas where Mel (7 months pregnant with twins!) kindly came to collect us. We spent the rest of the day slobbed out on the sofa watching the Australian Open drinking tea and relaxing in the bath... heaven, we hadn't seen a TV or a bath for a long time!! Mel and Maddie the dog did us proud!!

Paul (my old mate from Sheffield Poly) arrived home from work looking no different to how he looked 4 years previously when we last met. Was good to see him!!

In true Ozzy syle we opened a couple of cold beers and slapped a few steaks on the barbie and had a good old catch up.

The next day Paul arranged for Ady and I to go out to 'The Great Barrier Reef' on the dive boat he works on called Poseidon. What a fabulous day. I managed (on the second attempt!!! The first I seriously bailed out!!!) to dive on the
Up and away on the skyrail...Up and away on the skyrail...Up and away on the skyrail...

looking south towards Cairns airport...
reef, which was amazing. If it hadn't been for Paul's patience (and him threatening to thump me for being a big girls blouse!!), then I would probably either still be there now or would have bailed again!! So thanks Paul, you're a star because it was well worth it!!

Ady snorkelled at 3 sites which was amazing too as there were lots of fish, giant clams and reef to see. On the 3rd site we snorkelled together which was really good. We both really enjoyed it.

On the way back we picked up some more beers and food and Ady and I were let loose in the kitchen to cook a roast dinner, which none of us had had for a while. As one of our Christmas pressies had been a Yorkshire pud mix, we thought we'd better share it with Mel and the Yorkshire man!!

The next day was Paul's day off and he and Mel had to go to the Hospital for a scan of the babies. So Ady and I cadged a lift and spent the day in Kuranda where we took a cable car over the rain forest and then got the train
Rainforest and riverRainforest and riverRainforest and river

... as viewed from the cable car ...
back down to Cairns- pretty impressive to see so much rain forrest. The scan went well and we made our way back for a quick tea.

Our last day Paul drove us to Cow Bay and Cape Tribulation (where the rain forrest meets the ocean) which was absolutely stunning, where we sat and had a picnic lunch. We spent our last night having Morten Bay bugs cooked on the barbie, which were yummy washed down with a few more beers!

Paula and Mel showed us a great time. Their bungalow in the Daintree rainforest was lovely and their swimming pools was almost ready for out last day.. before the barbie we all of us(including Maddie the dog) splashed around in waist deep water....

Mel gave birth to the twins not long after we left, baby Zac and Ella, who look lovely!!

Thanks guys, was great to see you....


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Maddie and accomplice...Maddie and accomplice...
Maddie and accomplice...

Ady trys to teach Maddie how to open the garden gate...
Project Manager inspects pool..Project Manager inspects pool..
Project Manager inspects pool..

Paul takes a last walk in the pool before turning the hose tap on ...


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0981s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb