Where are all the fun bags?


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Noosa
March 14th 2007
Published: March 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Eager to find our way to Noosa and out of the shoddy weather, Gene and I packed up and headed north on the Sunshine Motorway. Along the way, we stopped at the Eumondi Market, enjoying the live entertainment, German sausage stand and numerous tents selling various types of goods. The woman who sold me a bratwurst, plain, curiously inquired, “Are you American?”

“Yes, I am. Why do you ask?”

“I don’t know what it is with Americans, but they never order a bratwurst without sauerkraut. You are the first in hundreds of American customers to order it without,” the dumbfounded woman remarked.

“And to think she’s German, too!” Gene jested.

“No worries…I like to think I’m quite unlike anyone else anyways,” I added with a smile. “Have a good day ladies.”

As we meandered along, Gene forewarned that the motel he booked for our night’s stay cost a mere $95 AUD, as its location is off the trodden path. In other words, he cautioned, “I have no idea what to expect.”

As we surveyed the motel prior to check-in time, Gene muttered, “The homes on this block remind me of the remnants of Hurricane Katrina.” Trying to convince Gene that he shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, he pointed out the metal security door leading to the reception desk and considered eating the $95 for the night to book alternative accommodations. Alas, Gene determined to make his final decision once we were able to see our room.

Choosing to spend the next hour scouring the beach, Gene and I quickly grew bored with the lack of people occupying the Noosa coastline, wondering where all of the 18-to-20-something fun bags were hiding.

Naturally, when all else failed, we passed time people watching and browsing the shops along the boardwalk before heading back to our tacky maritime-themed hotel for a less than eventful night.





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



22nd March 2007

greetings from Chicago
Thanks for the postcard Gina. I have occasionally checked out your blog and I'm having a great time "vicariously" traveling the world. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Wishing you sunny weather and functional rental cars as you continue your travels. Sue

Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 22; qc: 93; dbt: 0.1251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb