Longreach - Mt Isa


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mt Isa
June 30th 2010
Published: June 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

27th June - Had a great day at the QANTAS Museum in Longreach. It was the first base for the airline after it’s conception in Winton, 200km north. The 747 pictured, was donated in 2006 for the 82nd anniversary. The runway at Longreach is only 600m long! Half the length normally needed to land a Jumbo. Some feat!! Needless to say, it will never be able to leave here.

28th June - The intention today was to get to Cloncurry but, after an extended stop in Winton, of banjo Patterson fame, we decided to stay at McKinlay, behind the Walkabout Creek Hotel. It was the pub used to film a number of scenes in the first Crocodile Dundee movie. Snaps attached! We went through a heap of locus on the way here so I’ll be cleaning bodies off the car in the morning before we leave for Mt Isa.

29th June - Arrived in Mt Isa. Noticed a stark contrast in the scenery as we approached the town. From very flat, to very hilly and green.

We are staying at the Argylla Tourist Park. The manager gave us a very small lot to park in and it tested all of our reversing skills. We positioned it perfectly at our first attempt!!!

30th June - Went on a tour of the Extrata Mine today. Very interesting tour describing the different methods used to extract the minerals. ie. Copper, Zinc, Lead and Silver. Two thirds of the mine’s truck drivers are female.
Had dinner at The Buffs Club tonight and met a lovely couple. It turned out that the guy was none other than Ron Grant. Famous for his ultra marathon runs in the 70’s and 80’s. He was so interesting to talk to. He was the first to run around Australia and first to run across the Simpson Desert, amongst many other firsts.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



3rd July 2010

Hello
Hi both, it looks like you're both keeping well. It's so interesting seeing where you've been. I remember seeing the bar in Croc Dundee! We had a good holiday last weekend, Woolacombe is such a lovely place. I think we'll be going back again. Dave is off with the Cubs again this weekend, he went off yesterday (Friday) morning and will be back tomorrow (Sunday) he's only up at Blackwell. I think there are only a couple of cub things left before they break up for the summer, hopefully. It's been a busy couple of months for him just lately. Speak soon Take care, love you both Pat xxxx

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb