Mt Isa - Katherine


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Katherine
July 7th 2010
Published: July 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

1st July
Left Mt Isa at 9.15am and headed for Barkly Homestead, about a 450km drive.
We had the luxury of a very strong tail wind, so we made good progress. Rose had her first shot at driving. She was a bit nervous at first but soon settled into it. Our only stop along the way was at Camooweal where we bought a coffee from the post office?? They sold everything there including condoms!
It was Rose’s brother Ray’s birthday today but unfortunately we had no service on the phones or internet. Our only hope is a call from a public phone at Barkly.
Arrived at Barkly at 3.30pm. $24.00 per night for a powered site with water. The amenities are very good too. We head for Tennant Creek and The Devils Marbles tomorrow.

2nd July
Stopped for fuel at Tennant Creek, no other reason to stay!!! Every building in town had bars over the windows. No need for an explanation. We arrived at the Devils Marbles and were stunned by their appearance. The campsite was empty when we arrived but by 3.00pm, was overflowing with campers. The sunset was lovely. Very cold night.

3rd July
Left for Daly Waters at 9.00am and arrived at 11.00am. What a town! The pub was full of memorabilia along and above the bar. The place is run by a very excentric Frank Turton. “The Chook Man”. Check the attached snaps. Had a great night with Barra and Beef for dinner followed by a great night of entertainment. Palled up with a couple from Bowen, Neil and Linda who are a great laugh.

4 5 & 6thth July
Headed for Mataranka. Rose’s brother Graeme used to rave about the picturesque site with palms all around. We stopped for a cuppa on the way at “Fran’s”. Had coffee and scones. Came to, wait for it, $26.00!!!!! As they say it’s the experience you are there for??????
Rose and I had a dip in the thermal pool this morning - 35 deg. It was relatively cold when we eventually got out after, an hour soaking. We both looked like prunes!! In the afternoon we went for a 5km walk to “Stevie’s Hole” where, apparently fresh water crocs inhabit the area. Didn’t see any though. We calved Graeme’s initials in a gum tree in memory of him. It’s almost 12 months since he passed away.
The camp site is situated in “Never Never Land” so named after the book “We of the Never Never” by Gunn. We visited the cemetery where most of the characters are buried.

7th July
Drove to Katherine where we will be taking a cruise up the famous Gorge. The temperature has changed dramatically compared to our previous days. 34 deg today. Needless to say, the doona is now under the bed!!!
This is the first day for ages, that we have had internet capability so we will make the most of it over the next few days here.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



7th July 2010

Dog
Yes pat, it is the one Davo bought. He's in a lot of other snaps we've taken too. Glad you like the blog. We're having a ball. Love John
11th July 2010

Reading a book!
Just sent you an email and only just noticed this blog update! You write this really well, feels like we're on the journey with you. Full of information and like Pat, check things you talk about on the net after. No doubt you'll see some really interesting characters in the 'local' pubs on your way around. Keep that little dog in some of your pics - I remember him well. A truly lovely thing to do for Graeme too. Keep safe now xxx
16th July 2010

AS YOU CAN SEE I AM CATCHING UP WITH YOU. LOVED WHAT YOU DID FOR GRAEME
16th September 2010

Love it
Hi Aunty and John, Im loving reading about your adventures, It brings back a lot of memories from when Dad took us up that way a very long time ago, I remember the Hot springs, the crocs and the huge termite mounds, they are amazing.. You guys look like your having the best time. That was a very lovely and thoughtful thing that you did for Dad, he would be stoked.. Look forward to reading more about your adventures and the pics are great. Love you both very much, big hugs Love Candice, Mitch and the Girls xxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb