BFN Tours


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mission Beach
July 28th 2010
Published: July 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello Again,
Time for an update as plenty has happened over the last few days. For a start we have covered over 1000kms and left the red dirt/mud behind us, and am now happily nestled at Mission Beach with ocean you can actually swim in(this time of year at least).
We left Cape York a little unsatisfied as a lot of the things we wanted to do were all booked out for days in advance, including the ferry to Thursday Island, too windy to go boat fishing, and it was still raining so we decided to head south. Our drive back down was hampered by rain making the roads very, very dangerous, Bushy put the car and van into a slide but executed a perfect recovery to remain on the road. Some fellow travelers weren't so lucky with two cars rolling and numerous bikers taking a dive. We had to stop and help one guy get his car off its side.
On to Cooktown and more rain- not the campers friend- I know it's raining down south as well, but this is the far north in the 'dry' season. We had a wet look around, stayed a night then moved on to Cape Tribulation. We had various reports that the Bloomfield track was closed due to the rain, but these proved to be wrong so we cautiously set off. The road was about 1000 times better than the ones we've been on so we were wondering what all the fuss was about then we came across the Bloomfield river- as a quick aside - it's not hard to believe why they named this region after our family as it is rugged, untamed ans very beautiful (Tim just threw up), back to the river. It has a concrete weir across it not that you could see it as the river was pouring across at a very decent rate at about half a metre deep. There were about 10 4WDs all parked contemplating the crossing as we pulled up and Cal is in the back saying we're not doin that, we're not doin that repeatedly. So we sit and watch and a Pajero with trailer decided to cross so out come the cameras and they get about 50m across then the car stops, we are all yelling to keep moving as we thought they were taking photos, but their cars transmission died. So they were stranded on the causeway with no way of going forward or back and water streaming through their car and camper. Luckily for them a brave soul in a Patrol backed his car along the causeway and attached snap straps and pulled them back to safety. At this stage Cal is freaking as we have decided that we are definitely going across as our main worry was being swept off and watching a car sit in the raging water and still not move was confirmation enough for us. Bushy was less than pleased with this decision also but the choice was a 300km trip around so relented. Needless to say the Prado's just scoffed at the crossing and powered across no probs and Cal and Helen hung on nervously watching for signs of disaster.
The rest of the track was very steep but no problem and we arrived at Cape Trib in one piece.
We picked out a couple of camp sites in a very wet camp ground and set up, the fire pit should have warned us as it had turned to a swimming pool, and it seemed as soon as we got to bed it just poured and didn't stop. Cals mattress turned into a water bed in the middle of his own pool and everything in the tent was wet, did I mention I HATE camping in the rain.
As soon as reception opens we secure a Safari tent for our next night then spend the next 4 hours trying to dry everything. Yes Helen and Chris are nice and dry in their expensive camper.
Our big plus for the day is Jungle Surfing. This is a series of zip lines set up in the canopy of the rain forest and you go whizzing through the trees in your harness with guides giving you the run down on the unique ecosystem as you go. It was fantastic, I never thought I would see Bushy upside down on a zip line but there she was graceful as ever. Not that you're wondering but I was Barbie!
We have now moved on to Mission Beach after a brief look around Port Douglas and Cairns, the weather is looking a bit better with periods of sunshine but we have opted for a cabin to be on the safe side. Cal is back in the drivers seat and occasionally he drives OK. We are off to Townsville tomorrow to spend time with Sue and her family so am looking forward to that and Cal is keen for Connor to join us, someone who appreciates a 16yr olds' humour.
When we stop and look at the last few weeks it seems like forever since we left and we have done so much and we still have a couple of weeks to go. I can't wait to see what's in store!
Everyone says hi even Cal and we have all enjoyed reading your comments and news from home.
Off to swim in the ocean- YEAH!
Cheers
Lee and the BFN Team.


Advertisement



29th July 2010

Been reading your entries every week.. sounds like you are having a great time, (despite all the rain). Given Bushy doesn't like the water, I can only imagine how much she was freaking out, crossing that river! Glad u have all stayed safe so far! xo
3rd August 2010

Great Adventures
So Brave. Love the yellow helmets!
3rd August 2010

Love and Kisses
Give our love to all the family.x

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb