Mission Beach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mission Beach
October 3rd 2009
Published: October 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Mission Beach and booked into The Sanctuary Retreat. A man in a 4 wheel drive came to pick us up fromt he carpack for the drive up through the rainforest to the hotel. Our room was amazing - a green hut suspended in the rainforest which you could almost touch from bed. Having settled in we headed down to our own bit of beach - along a footpath through the trees (very beautiful although the return walk was hard work in the heat). A beautiful sunset made it all worthwhile plus a brilliant dinner on the restaurant balcony overlooking the moonlit sea.

The next morning saw us come face to face with a juvenile cassowary - Australia's second biggest bird (a rainforest version of the emu). It was really cool to see one as there are thought to be only 3000 left in the country.

On the way out of Mission Beach we headed to the local market abd pottered around. We bought some second hand books to bolster our library and also enjoyed drinking cocunut milk directly from the coconut which a man with a huge knife chopped open for us! Then we headed off towards Townsville and Magnetic Island.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



23rd November 2009

Coolio
We stayed here!! Good to see it still exists a scary 6 years or so later :) x

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb