Cape Tribulation and the Atherton Table Lands


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape Tribulation
October 1st 2009
Published: October 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left Cairns and headed north towards Port Douglas for a lunch stop and then on to the Daintree River, as we travelled the trees became more lush and dense and though we had clear skies it was clear we were entering a rainforest. We went for a boat trip before boarding the ferry and had the whole boat to ourselves which was ace. Terry showed us four crocs as well as a blossom bat, snake, wonky crabs and some spoon billed birds. We then headed over the river on the ferry and made our way to the beach campsite at Cape Tribulation. Set up camp and investigated the beach just through the trees (with a couple of glasses of red wine!).

Up early to go sea kayaking around the Cape, we saw a sea cow but no turtle. We then spent the afternoon snorkeling straight off the beach in the fringing reef which was full of tropical fish, sting rays and sea cucumbers.

Cape Tribulation was amazing but unfortunately marked our Northern most point and so we turned the car and headed back towards Melbourne (all be it rather slowly). We passed a tea plantation and stopped at an ice cream company making flavours from local tropical fruits then back over the Daintree River and on towards the Atherton tablelands.

The drive up onto the Tablelands was beautiful - great views down to the coastline and over towards The Daintree. The Tablelands, as the name suggests, are a plateau about 30 miles inland and contain more rainforest, waterfalls, lakes and farmland. We spent one night camping at Lake Tinaroo before a whole day exploring - including seeing a platypus…strange looking creature! We also toured a circuit of waterfalls and visited a great big crater before camping again, this time in the Wooroonooran national park with rainforest all around us. It was a beautiful spot, noisy animals but I guess I shouldn’t complain…the rats behaved themselves and didn’t eat the car’s electrics as apparently they are prone to do. With a sigh of relief (and after a morning walk to another waterfall) we drove back towards the coast - heading towards Mission Beach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb