It ended, with a thud


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Magnetic Island
August 19th 2011
Published: September 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today was our last full day on Magnetic Island, we had enjoyed a fantastic time here and would recommend it to anyone, who wanted a nice easy relaxing time, with some great wildlife experiences thrown in.

We were up early and quickly dressed and left our room as we needed to fuel the little car up before giving it back, the local servo was about 100 yards down the road, we pulled up behind a bicycle, I said to Caroline, this bloke must be filling his bicycle up with Petrol I’ve got to see this.

When I looked closer, this guy was filling a 5 Litre jerry can that he placed on his cycle rack went and paid for his fuel then cycled off.

We had had the little Suzuki, for 3 days and just had to give it the car hire company, back with a full tank of petrol, when the pump shut off the grand total was $22.83.

At the request of the car hire company, we could just give the keys back at reception and we were good to go.

We were sad to see the little car go, but it had been
Mexian food loving PossumMexian food loving PossumMexian food loving Possum

How's this for a cool trick, it seems to defy gravity.
great fun and taken us all over the island.

With keys at the desk, we went and had our breakfast then made plans, as to what we intended to do for the rest of the day.

We loaded our little rucksacks with Cameras and the bits and pieces we carried and headed down for the bus stop, to catch the bus to Horseshoe bay.

The bus arrived on time and we jumped on, and 45 minutes later it was letting us off and the weather was just searing hot, what a beautiful day it was.

We made our way to a coffee shop and sat in the shade, doing our favourite pass time of watching the world go by, whilst eating cake and drinking coffee, Marvellous.

We intended to pretty well much do nothing really just have an easy day and enjoy ourselves.

We got chatting to an elderly couple who were “ needing to talk” and asked us all about ourselves, How dull, when we got to the work thing,
I must have said that I recently came back from Christmas Island and they asked me what I did. Not wishing to be
Sundown at West PointSundown at West PointSundown at West Point

Beautiful Magnetic Island
rude,
I honestly just could not be bothered to get in to a situation where we tell them what we do and then they bombard us with their opinions and so on, so I just said “ I’m afraid I can not disclose what we do” , it just sort of had a funny ring, I may use that line again, at least it makes me sound more interesting than I really am.

Back at the bus stop we waited for the return bus back to the hotel, for no other reason than to have an afternoon siesta, and just as we got back in to our room had decided where to have our evening dinner.

When we asked people “ where was good to eat” everyone had said, go to “Man Friday’s” as its so good and well worth a visit.
After our leisurely read and afternoon snooze.

We were showered and shaved and back at the bus stop to go and get our dinner.

The bus dropped us at the end of the street and we just had a short 10 minute walk to the restaurant.

We went in and were given our
Sundown at West PointSundown at West PointSundown at West Point

Beautiful Magnetic Island
table we had booked , It was a gorgeous evening sitting under the shade cloth, with my favourite wife
We were just talking when there was a loud thud above us, still looking at each other we both said Possum!!.

As we looked to the edge of the shade cloth you could see two paws and a little pink nose. poking out.

We love Possums, but they are not a “Loved creature” as they cause a lot of damage if they get in to your roof space, but we love them , as they are such sweet, mischievous creatures.

The staff serving the restaurant meals saw the Possum as they came out of the kitchen which was just adjacent to us, one of them came out with a handful of Nachos, and laid them on the Balustrade handrail and soon enough, the Possum was coming down the tree, head first, sitting on the hand rail, then proceeding to devour a great handful of Spicy Nacho’s, by now, we knew they were spicy as we were eating our own.

I would have hated to see the Possum square up to Caroline, trying to eat hers, I really wouldn’t have fancied the Possums chances.

The Possum had this brilliant trick, whilst facing towards the ground, it could curl its tail around a branch stand on its back paws whilst holding a nacho in its front paws, it was a terrific sight and as soon as he had eaten everything, he just sat there waiting for another load, which he seemed to always get.

The meal was pretty good, but the evenings entertainment was better as we had managed to capture these sneaky creatures, with Caroline’s Camera.

We walked home, still lovely and warm, the evening was beautiful, we needed to go home and pack our bags as we were off in the morning.

Soon we were in our room, packing our bags, sadly nearing the end of a great mini adventure.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



23rd September 2011

Love the photos on this one! Signed, Suckerforagoodsunsetphoto :-)

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb